PC buying help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattdog

Beta member
Is it better to buy Dell PC from Dell's site or from E-bay? I ordered a PC from E-bay and the seller didn’t say that he bought it refurbished. I know for sure it’s Dell refurbished because of the selling price It had 160GB hard drive and fortunate for me the seller said 160 GB hard drive is not available. He told me he has only a 80 GB tower and he offered a $40 discount. I said no. Is it smart to get a refurbished PC from Dell or a “previously ordered new returned” from Dell. This is for my son (10 year old). He loves to play games, surf, and go to Ben 10 site to play stuff. I bought game software, school stuff, Spanish learning software and so forth. I don't need a monitor. I have an option to buy from Fry’s or Best Buy. Since Memorial Day is around the corner what do you suggest? Your advice is appreciated.
Matt

Unless you absolutely must have that particular type of computer right now, I would steer clear of refurbished computers. Someone returned that item and Dell, or whoever it is, does not tell you why.

I canÂ’t really give you any advice on which place to buy from as I build my own computers as well as those for the office I work at (something to consider trying if you are willing to spend the time to learn what the part descriptions mean).

I can tell you to try and ensure that whatever you decide to buy has a dedicated graphics card. That way you will have a few more upgrade options later on.

And lastly if you have one that you are interested in donÂ’t be afraid to post a link to it or list its specs so that we can give you our thoughts on it.

What kind of games does he like to play? The reason I ask is because the newer games are becoming intensive in graphics demand.

And tajahem is 100% correct, stay away from refurbished unless you absolutely know the person persoanlly and has integrity.

I suggest going online and check out the Dell and HP sites. That will give you an idea of what rthey offer. Also look at what Best Buy and Circuit City have online. This will give you an idea of cost, etc.

And as tajahem suggests come back and tell us what you found. It will be important to give us the following if you can:

1. Make/model.

2. The processer unit, i.e. Intel or AMD and any and all information you can supply like speed 3.0 Ghz and so on, or name such as Athlon 64 3200+

3. The amount of memory (RAM)

4. The type of graphics card such as Nvidia 6800GT or Radeon X800.

5. Any other details you think are important.

Also, if you can supply a link that would also speed up the process. By the way, stay away from eMachines.

Get them from Dell, though I suggest not to purchase a dell for gaming.

Ebay is cheap since the sellers buy in large quantities as small business rates (30% + maybe more off normal price)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom