pc advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashtrey87

Beta member
hi im new and would like to ask for some advice on my pc.
i would like to start playing games on pc and would like to know if the one i have is worth upgrading or if its better to get a new one.the game i would like to play is nazi zombies cod waw (for the custom maps) here is the requirements for world at war.

CPU: AMD 64 3200+/Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz
RAM: 512MB (XP) / 1GB (VISTA)
HDD: 8 Gigabyte
GPU: 256MB Nvidia 6600GT/ATI Radeon 1600XT

and this is my pc i went to run dxdiag to get this info.

page1

system model: aspire sa85
bios: phoenix award bios v6.00pg
processor: intel celeron d cpu 3.20 ghz
memory: 224 mb ram

page2

name: sis mirage graphics
chip type: sis 661
dac type: internal
memory: 32.0mb
display mode: 1024x768(32bit)(60hz)

its a real slow computer how much would i need to spend and what to buy to get it to run waw?or is it better to get a new pc any recommendations? what ever it takes i would like it to be as cheap as possible

cheers for any advice

Wanna know a funny storey? My old computer was exactly one of those.

Hmmm, borderline stuff...

I'm going to assume you are running XP (1, because that computer seems real old :D and 2 because XP was massively popular). You would need to upgrade the RAM for starters.

Upgrading the RAM is simple, but if you get the wrong kind, you could get in strife. I upgraded mine with 2x1GB DDR. Bad news is, thats the max the system can handle...

You'll also need to upgrade the GPU (which you don't have one currently). These are also known as "Video Cards". Now, I dropped a Powercolour HD3650 in mine. If your system is exactly the same as mine, you need an AGP video card, NOT A PCI-Express card. How do I know, I bought a PCI card and then it didn't fit :D .

So, some suggestions:

RAM

G.SKILL Value 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400
Mushkin Enhanced Essentials 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400
Patriot Signature 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400

All these are around the $60 mark. All three are good brands. I used the patriot brand in my last upgrade and i've used it again in my current build. Its good enough for what I need it for, that being, not much :D

GPU: (after not being able to find anything on newegg, I've had to resort to fleabay :( )
PowerColor Radeon HD4670 1024MB 128-bit DDR AGP8x

And here's the bad news: $150!!!!! Which so isn't worth it...

My advice would be to save up and buy a new computer. These machines are seriously outdated.... Any money you spend upgrading this machine now is money down the drain because any components you use here won't be compatible with more advanced systems, should you buy new in the future. The AGP pinset is being phased out in exchange for PCI-express. RAM is up to DDR3@2600mhz (yours is DDR@400mhz). Also, there is no guarentee your machine will play those games well. Even after upgrading my machine, some games still lagged or took ages to load and it made things annoying.

If you were going to buy new, what would your budget be? We can give some suggestions that will let you play those games without having to worry about lag or anything.

Go for building a new one, mate. Since you are in the UK I can't readily post up links but I would suggest something like this...

• AMD Athlon II x4 640
  • mATX motherboard with AMD 880G chipset (I prefer ASUS, ASrock, Biostar)
  • 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 of whatever the native speed used by the mobo is (1600 most likely)
  • Western Digital Black hard drive
  • Mid-range graphics card (I use a GTX260 and it does a good job, so anything around it or above on the Graphics list here on TF)
  • Good 550W+ PSU (Antec would be my recommendation)
  • Windows 7 x64

Your potential budget will be the main consideration to worry about. Whatever you come up with we will try to find you the most you can get out of it.

• AMD Athlon II x4 640
  • mATX motherboard with AMD 880G chipset (I prefer ASUS, ASrock, Biostar)
  • 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 of whatever the native speed used by the mobo is (1600 most likely)
  • Western Digital Black hard drive
  • Mid-range graphics card (I use a GTX260 and it does a good job, so anything around it or above on the Graphics list here on TF)
  • Good 550W+ PSU (Antec would be my recommendation)
  • Windows 7 x64

Trotter forgot the closing brackets. :p

You're going to have to put up a budget before we can really tell you what you should get, assuming you're going to be playing other games in the future. If not, Trotter's build would be perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom