Part Suggestion for new 4-monitor workstation

Status
Not open for further replies.

og5

Baseband Member
Hi,

I am looking to build a business computer that can handle 4 24" monitors

But I don't know any of the components I should get, especially the things like motherboard, power supply, fan, case, & probably another thing I'm neglecting.

Here's what I know I want

• Desktop
• (2) Dual Head DVI video cards
• 256 GB Hard Drive, 7200 rpm
• 5 USB ports
• 4 or 6 GB Ram (6 if cost is minor)
• Headset/Microphone jack on high quality sound card for audio recordings
• Low volume, low pitch cooling fans
• Ethernet port
• DVD-RW drive

I intend to run Windows 7 Home, 32 or 64 bit

I don't run programs that need heavy processing power. I just have many windows open (usually multiple office application windows and internet browsers) So a lower end motherboard should be fine.

Suggestions for parts are greatly appreciated!

*Also, if you don't think I should do this myself for some reason please let me know. I've never put a computer together, although I have a basic understanding of their parts and have installed a card before

In my opinion... This is a strange setup... I wouldnt really bother building a new PC for this, If all you have done is install a card before, then you will likely run into problems... Building a PC is pretty simple and you'd manage fine if you follow instructions, But for what you are looking for you are causing yourself a lot of heartache just to have a 4 screen system... If I was you, id sacrafice a screen and just invest in a 2nd hand dualcore machine, Clean install it then buy and fit a 3 output card... Itll be fast and cheap. But if youve got your heart set on building a new machine, Just go for it, with the specs your looking at, you wont go far wrong and it'll be a nice little learning experience for you :) Essentially you just want to make sure the MB is the correct socket for the CPU u buy, the RAM must be The correct type for the MB (DDR2, DDR3) and your Video card must fit your MB (PCI-E x8, x16, AGP) Then your HDD must fit your MB (Sata / PATA) and of course your PSU must be enough to power your system... also some newer Video cards require power direct from the PSU so you should check this as not all PSU's have that option. Happy Geeking! :)

In my opinion... This is a strange setup... I wouldnt really bother building a new PC for this, If all you have done is install a card before, then you will likely run into problems... Building a PC is pretty simple and you'd manage fine if you follow instructions, But for what you are looking for you are causing yourself a lot of heartache just to have a 4 screen system... If I was you, id sacrafice a screen and just invest in a 2nd hand dualcore machine, Clean install it then buy and fit a 3 output card... Itll be fast and cheap. But if youve got your heart set on building a new machine, Just go for it, with the specs your looking at, you wont go far wrong and it'll be a nice little learning experience for you :) Essentially you just want to make sure the MB is the correct socket for the CPU u buy, the RAM must be The correct type for the MB (DDR2, DDR3) and your Video card must fit your MB (PCI-E x8, x16, AGP) Then your HDD must fit your MB (Sata / PATA) and of course your PSU must be enough to power your system... also some newer Video cards require power direct from the PSU so you should check this as not all PSU's have that option. Happy Geeking! :)
Paragraphs, man, paragraphs! :)

I think fast and type faster... paragraphing is very low on my list of priorities... Maybe someone will come up with "auto-paragraph" as a browser addon and help me out! :D

Paragraphs are what makes your post worth reading. If no one reads your post, then you just wasted your time. Its quite easy to type it all out and then read it back and paragraph it, instead of a wall of text.

Building is quite easy ad you can even get the shops to assemble your choosen parts.

I'd recommend a AMD quad core, like a 955BE, an 880 level board from Asus, msi or Gigabyte. 8 Gigs of ram. Multiple documents run better with ots of room in the ram. For a power supply, that really depends on the video cards.
2 video cards usually require 650 or more Watts, but 2 lesser cards could be alittle less, v2 higher cards could be alot more.

So with video cards, they don't have to be the same, just esasier to be the same base brand. I.e. AMD or Nvidia.
My suggestion would be to get 1 good card, so you have the ability to do some gaming and heavy graphics, and a lower end card to ouput to the 2 other monitors.

You don't need a huge budget for this but it'd help knowing what you bwant to spend.

I agree about the paragraphs entirely lol... I need to pay a little more attention to those details., point noted! lol

In regards to the system specs, if you are just using office and web browsers like myself, im running an i3 with 4gig ram and 3 monitors and it handles it all beautifully considering the insane number of windows i usually have open...

I love the way you can now drag a window to the side... and it auto-sizes to half your screen. But it begs the question... Why not on the join between split screens???? A majorly dissapointing design flaw imo!

I love the way you can now drag a window to the side... and it auto-sizes to half your screen. But it begs the question... Why not on the join between split screens???? A majorly dissapointing design flaw imo!
Easier way is to press Windows+Left (or right), or up to Maximise.

If you use the keyboard shortcuts, it does do it on the seam between multiple screens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom