Part Markup Percentage... Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

tshanks

Beta member
1. I am sorry if this isn't a good place to post this... But I do think that because my boss is a political *** and a ripoff genius... I figured I'd try here...

In a retail environment, what is the suggested markup for parts... i.e. like in a mom/pops computer store...

I currently work for a small computer store in the chicago land region, and my boss tells me that all parts are to be marked up at 1.67 because that is industry standard... That makes a router that costs $58, now retails at $96. Personally, I think he is full of **** when he tells us this, but I just wanted to get an idea what everyone else thinks... And yes, our parts comes from TechData, NewEgg, Best Buy, Comp USA, and other locations...

Not just routers, but everything, including hard drives, motherboards, memory, UPSs, LCD's, you name it...

Heck, he takes UPS's that he's gotten an advanced replacement thru the manufacturer, and then sold the UPSs and retail prices... I'm talking the 350 units you purchase for $39 in most stores, he sells between $69 and $129. Even if they have a remanufactured sticker on it, he takes it off and then sells the unit. He will even create fake invoices and then call up these manufacturers to get the items replaced.

So, yeah I think he's a crook, but it's a full-time paying job... I get $30K to be a technician... Unfortunately, we're out here in the far western burbs, and I don't want to travel into the city for a better paying job.

So, back to my main question, what is the standard markup for a small repair shop for parts???

Thanks
T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom