Parents need a new comp, PII aint cutting it

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebleakness

Banned
My parents are in the process of buying a new computer. They dont have endless amounts of money to spend on a computer and im leaving for 5 weeks this summer so i couldnt build one for them. They have about $550 to spend. They were looking at the Dell Dimension B110 with 1gb of RAM and the 15" flat screen.

Anyone know of anything better for around the same price? It doesnt neccesarily have to have keyboard/mouse/speakers because we already have those. The main things are a decent computer and a flat screen.

Let me say this again, I CANNOT build a computer for them. They want one soon and i wont be available, nor will anyone with the knowledge.

So, if anyone knows of a better computer for the same price or agrees with the choice above or different suggestions, they would be much appreciated.

Since all they will want to do is the basics, it ought to do 'em OK.

They may want to bump the 15" up to a 19". They won't regret it, especially as they age and their eyes get a little weaker.

Its going too see some gaming actually. My sister plays Sims and such on it.

The 19" for them sounds like a good idea but i dont really think they are up to paying that much at this time for it. Ill check with them about it....

The thing i was kind of worried about is the fact that it has integrated graphics. I dont know what my sister plans on playing up too but i think the Sims 2 is most likely one of the games. I think what i might do is get them a FX-5700 or something like that too hold them off, they wont need much.

This is the computer right now:

Intel® Celeron® D Processor 325 (2.53 GHz, 533 FSB)
Intel motherboard
1GB Dual Channel DDR SDRAM at 400MHz
160GB Ultra ATA/100 7200RPM Hard Drive
Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability
monitor: 15", 17", 19" shall discuss
Dell A215 Speakers
Dell USB Keyboard and Dell 2-button Scroll Mouse
Windows XP Home

Sims 2 requires a graphics card.

They may want to look at a model that at least has a video slot so a card can be added after it gets there.

thebleakness where do you live?

I have an xfx geforce 6600 256mb agp and i have been trying to sell it for about 4 months!!!

I will sell it for about $35-50!!! Thats if you live in PA!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom