p4 building prob - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 05:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Angry p4 building prob

hi ive just recently built my first pc. i purchased everything new and i have coneccted everything for which i think perfectly.

spec: p4 3.0 on an asus motherboard with 512 mem.

anyways the problem is when i start it up it powers on for about 4 seconds then switchs of again!!!
is there a jumper i need to change settings to or is the psu busted.. i cant figure out how to sort it. can anyone help.. cheers

Old 12-07-2005, 05:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

Make sure the memory is seated properly. Do you get a picture on your monitor? Make sure graphics card is seated properly. Check all cables. Temporarely remove all unneccesary devices like expansion cards, CD-ROM drives etc.

You could also try clearing your BIOS. Check your manual for instructions.

Old 12-07-2005, 07:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

like the major said, clearing CMOS might help (sorry to be picky major but its cmos not bios, id be worried if he did actually clear his bios). if that 512mb of memory is in 2x256mb sticks try only using one at a time.

edit: it just occured to me that it could be an overheating issue. you did use thermal paste on the cpu and heatsink right? if you did did you follow the directions EXACTLY because you should never deviate from the instructions and assume that more is better.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

Yeah, CMOS, BIOS, who cares
Old 12-07-2005, 07:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

i don't like i said, i meant no offence by being pedantic i know you know what your talking about. i mean your post count dwarfs mine but i just thought i'd clarify in case he somehow found a way to erase his bios
Old 12-07-2005, 07:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

Quote:
Originally posted by nitestick
in case he somehow found a way to erase his bios
CMOS is the chip, BIOS is the operating system. I think it should be BIOS.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie

cmos= the part of the bios chip in which settings are stored. it is not part of the eeprom which the bios itself is stored on. unless you actually mean he should flash his bios. i would suggest that to but the computer seems to unstable to even try. it seems to be power or heating to me.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

On old computers it was sometimes called "clear eeprom".
Old 12-07-2005, 08:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lord Techie

sorry for starting this debate . oh well i think we should just leave it at that because i'm starting to look like a post whore by keeping this up. like i said i'm pretty sure its overheating or power so we'll wait for him to post back and go from there.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

thanks for all the information guys.. i did use the thermal paste on cpu.. so i reckon the power supply that came with the case might be naf, but cant return it as ive had it for over a month,

The memory is a one stick 512mb. ive re checked all the connections to the motherboard from the psu but everything i can think of seems properly connected.

Closed Thread