Overclocking from 233mhz to 300mhz?? safe or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aff1993

In Runtime
Hi,
I just started to understand CPU overclocking, and i like how it sounds, but i know of many cases where it reults in disaster, so would it be safe to overclock a pentium 2 233mhz to 300mhz??
or even 233 to 266mhz?
And if so, how??
Thanks

It wouldn't result in disaster, dunno who told you that. The most it would do is lock up, making you go back to the previous FSB.

The only thing that'll result in disaster is raising VCORE voltage. I've overclocked every Pentium 2 I've ever had my hands on.

By the way, I hope you're not talking about that laptop you want to buy. I'm almost 100 percent sure there won't be any settings on that laptop for overclocking.

Make small adjusments to the FSB through BIOS. Do NOT jump from 233 straight to 300. Chances are good that it'll not boot, forcing you to lower the FSB, and therefore making that attempt worthless.

Maybe you didn't know, but most Pentium 2 motherboards (every single one I've ever seen) use jumpers to adjust FSB, multiplier, etc.

In most cases, the lowest increment would be 5, maybe 10 MHz.

WorldIndustries said:
Maybe you didn't know, but most Pentium 2 motherboards (every single one I've ever seen) use jumpers to adjust FSB, multiplier, etc.

No, didn't know that. I haven't had any experience with a computer pre-dating the P3.

Heres a question to you snake...

I've barley ever OCed so it might sound dumb to ya but... say my cpu wont reach an fsb of 300 when the default mutlplier is 15 and default stock fsb is 200, if i'll raise it like 5mhz at a boot and keep going like thatfor 20 boots, will then I will be able to reach an fsb of 300mhz? Or is that impossible and wont change the resaults?...

-Jo.

Like i said in my previous post, chances are good your computer won't boot if you make a big jump in FSB (i.e 200 straight to 300). It's best to change the FSB by very little amounts. Personally, i say, if your BIOS or OCing utility allows you to increase the FSB by only 1 MHz, do it. If your multiplier is unlocked, you could also try lowering the FSB and raising the multiplier. This would be more beneficial, because the FSB is the rate at which your CPU "communicates" with the rest of your computer. If you raise the FSB, you raise the speed on all your parts. Eventually, there will be a time when one component will not be able to keep up (usually RAM). You could get into RAM overclocking, but that requires tons of reading. I mean tons.

Examples:
200MHz FSB, 10x multiplier = 2000MHz
100MHz FSB, 20x multiplier = 2000MHz

BTW, just so you know, this information may have some gaps, so if you or anyone else would like to correct me, i'm all for it. I believe that all of it is 100% correct, but if there happens to be something wrong, i'd like to know. Also, if anything doesn't make sense, feel free to either post back or PM me.

Lappy meaning laptop? I believe so, but you won't get much out of it. Plus, it'll get hot sitting in your lap.

Snake-Eyes said:
Lappy meaning laptop? I believe so, but you won't get much out of it. Plus, it'll get hot sitting in your lap.

Very, very rarely do bios setting on a laptop support overclocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom