Ouch! Upgrade hurts brain

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokernod

In Runtime
First off, Im sorry if I sound like some kind of noob. I used to be really good with this kind of thing but Ive developed a condition that effects my concentration and memory. Ive spent hours and hours getting nowhere with this and Im getting frustrated at all Ive forgotten. Secondly, I really hope this post is in the right place, and Im sorry if it isnt.

In short, I just want to play Call of duty 4. I have two computers:

1) HP 542x 1.8gig P4 - 760+ Ram - dual 40/100 HD - 256Mb ATI 9250 - XP Home - stock PS

2) Custom from scrapped Compaq - ECS 755-A2 MoBo - AMD Sempron 1.8 gig 3100+ - 512 Ram - 40 HD - Old 3dfx VooDoo3 - XP Pro - New PS 400watt (I think) - crammed in an old Pionex case
On the side, in a drawer I have 2 sticks 512mb PC2 Ram and a choice of any OS Id need or want.

Im poor, but I just happen to have come accross $300 extra and was going to try and get $100 more and buy a Custom - Intel 3.3gig - 2gig Ram - Nvidia 8400GS 256MB - Vista Ultimate 64bit - Blah Blah - for just a little less than $400 with shipping. Needless to say, thanks to "this and that" my $300 has shrank instead of grown and Im down to $225, Im flustered. So I was hoping to just maybe build a better system with what I have and the leftover money.
I would really like to exceed the recommended req. as oppossed to meeting the Min. Req which are as follows:

“Required (min) Specs”
CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 2.4 GHz or AMD(R) Athlon(TM) 64 2800+ processor or any 1.8Ghz Dual Core Processor or better supported
RAM: 512MB RAM (768MB for Windows Vista)
Harddrive: 8GB of free hard drive space
Video card (generic): NVIDIA(R) Geforce(TM) 6600 or better or ATI(R) Radeon(R) 9800Pro or better

“Recommended Specs”
CPU: 2.4 GHz dual core or better is recommended
RAM: 1GB for XP; 2GB for Vista is recommended
Video card: 3.0 Shader Support recommended. Nvidia Geforce 7800 or better or ATI Radeon X1800 or better

So I have some questions, which here, are going to seem rather stupid, but please understand:
1) Am I correct in assumming that all I really need is a new MoBo, CPU/HS/F, and Video Card? as in I have the rest of what I need between the other two Coms. And that my ECS + Sempron wont come close to the task.
2) Am I correct in assuming that I really need to go with an Nvidia Chipset and AMD dual core?

This is what I was looking at from Pricewatch:
Ecs Geforce7050m-M DDR2 Pcie X16 Sata2 (Mem not Incl.) - Amd Athlon 64 X2 S.Am2 4600+ Dual-Core - High-Speed Cooling Fan With Heatsink - Geforce 8500gt 256mb Dvi/Hdtv Pci-E X16 - $202 (I think before shipping)

Does this, along with what I have equal Call of Duty 4 Play....Can I do better for my measly monies, Am I missing anything?

Again Im sorry, Its just the more I try the harder it gets to keep it all in my head and prices are only going up. I cant keep waiting to find that perfect deal. And I hope the long post doesnt offend, just trying to keep the "Back and forth" to a Min.
I really appreciate the help Guys......

The only post with no answers. Well, gee guys thanks for the help, I'll be sure and recommend this sight to all my friends....:confused:

Welcome to the site.... You might want to note that this is a volunteer community, and there aren't people browsing every forum here 24x7, so sometimes you will see a delay in the time you post to when you get a response.... Sometimes it is almost immediate, other times it isn't, that's just the way it works.

As far as your setup, you are partially correct. You will need a Motherboard, CPU, RAM, and a video card. You can use a hard drive and the OS from one of your previous setups (of course you will have to format the hard drive, and re-install the OS, and only have the OS on one active computer)...

Take the case, Power supply and hard drive out of Trotters list of suggested parts, and it brings you to about $220-250 shipped..... You did say you have a new (you think) 400 W PSU in the 2nd build... I would suggest checking the brand against our power supply against our power supply guide... If it isn't of great quality I would HIGHLY recommend purchasing a high quality one, as it can potentially damage your components.

:D Thanks a heap guys, but this brings up a new (Stupid) question or two.
Ive noted that your suggesting the sapphire while everyone else screams Nvidia. And even many of the newer games these days say "Blah Blah Designed for best performance with Nvidia Vid Cards blah blah". And Before all the Nvidia Hub Bub I was a pretty solid ATI fan, could I get a bit of an explanation on this. You dont think Id be better off with the 8500gt or something? Performance comparisons on vid cards these days are like trying to figure out how to disarm a Nuclear Missle in 20 sec. without even a screwdriver.
Also, And I KNOW this is the usual Newbie statement but (in a nasely voice) "that MoBo is almost half the price of the one I was looking at, am I missing something here?"
I really appreciate it, Ive been looking around here and Im already a big fan of the sight!

And Im sorry about the last comment, I get grumpy sometimes, another symptom of my condition, I'll try not to let that happen again. It was def. wrong of me.:D

Oh Yea, do you guys like newegg better than pricewatch or what? I really thought pricewatch was the place to get it.

pokernod said:
You dont think Id be better off with the 8500gt or something?
Good question. I went and checked out this thread to find out:
http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/graphics-card-rankings-139202/

Seems the 8600GT and the 8600GTS perform better than the 2600XT. Due to recent price drops, the 8600GT is actually a little cheaper than the 2600XT now, so good thing you asked. The 8600GT was running $100+ just a few weeks ago.

If you can stretch your budget a little, look into the 8800GS, 8800GT, and 9600GT.

pokernod said:
"that MoBo is almost half the price of the one I was looking at, am I missing something here?"
More expensive does not always mean better. When you are running a tight budget, you have to make a few compromises. Odds are the mobo listed will not have the top-end tweaks that other does, and may not overclock as well. It should still perform great on stock, though.

The mobo I listed uses the Nvidia 6100 chipset. It is rock solid and runs great. The onboard graphics are superior (as far as onboard goes). A friend of mine runs the 6150, and plays several current games on it.

pokernod said:
I get grumpy sometimes
Don't we all. Don't sweat it.

pokernod said:
Oh Yea, do you guys like newegg better than pricewatch or what? I really thought pricewatch was the place to get it.
Newegg is tough to beat. I sometimes use PriceGrabber to look for some things, but the Egg is the tops.

I have spend probably over $5000 at Newegg in the past 8 years.... I've only had ONE issue, and it was on my very first order. The Power supply was DOA, and they quickly got me a new one. Their shipping is ALMOST ALWAYS 2 days (provided you order early in the day), and their prices are hard to beat, even with sites like zipzoomfly that do free shipping.

:( I did what you suggested and checked my power supply against the list, True to my lifelong luck, its a TURBOLINK switching power supply. MODEL ATX-CW500P4 12V (500W Max) and its on the AVOID LIST. Im Bummed.

And Trotter, Thanks for that Vid Card List, its awesome but it confused me even more since the 7800GS was way above the 8500GT and I thought they were going "The higher the number the better the card and GT being more "Game" and GS being more "Graphics, Movies" I guess I cant read the review for every card on the market today so Im ..........

Infact......If theres one thing Ive learned in my short visit, is that you guys obviously discuss this stuff alot, your very knowledgable, and you understand it all. .....SO.....(I would have liked to have made a new post for this, but I know how irritating that is to some forums)

Final Question: and perhaps a challenge? I'll take answers from anyone willing

You have, say....$250 on a credit card and not a penny more.
You Have:
A Case - A Hard Drive - 2 sticks 512mb PC2 Ram - A Crappy, but brand new 500W Power Supply - An Operating System (64 bit - XP or Vista Ultimate) - plenty of fans - and Call Of Duty4 with the following requirements:

CPU: 2.4 GHz dual core or better is recommended
RAM: 1GB for XP; 2GB for Vista is recommended
Video card: 3.0 Shader Support recommended. Nvidia Geforce 7800 or better or ATI Radeon X1800 or better

WHAT WOULD YOU GET SO THAT YOU COULD PLAY THAT GAME?
( I know,.... Im actually feeling pretty clear headed today and Im looking at this thinking......"It aint happening.:( ")
And yes, "A Job!" would be an entertaining and very funny answer, but Im disabled, so its only about a 5-15% chance that it would work.

I really hope Im not bothering/irritating you guys with this.

Im going to go look around NewEgg for a bit, until my brain melts atleast. Maybe I'll get lucky with some redlight special.

Okay.
I just purchased a BFG Nvidia 7800gt OC to get me started on this. It cost me about $52 w/shipping

BFG nvidia 7800gt OC Overclocked LIFETIME BFG WARRANTY - eBay (item 200225733048 end time May-27-08 19:18:26 PDT)

was this wrong?:confused: I DID save $25. Though I see it doesnt have the 4.0 shader or DX10 support That the 8600gt does.

I think Im going to try to get that AMD MoBo, 4600+ CPU, and the Ram that you listed, I kinda like the reviews that MoBo and CPU got.

I really like that FSP Power Supply you guys listed too and would somehow like to get that in. I barely use this second build I have (The ECS MoBo and Sempron 3100+), And Im going to have to strip it down anyway to use the Pionex case. Im thinking I should just put that MoBo and CPU and maybe a little Ram and the soundcard as a combo on ebay and try to get the price of the Power supply for it. Although Id much rather get rid of the Intel P4 1.8. But I dont think I have another case around here for that ECS.
Do you think it would hurt anything terribly to run this TurboLink for a week or two until I got the FSP, or should I really not run That power supply at all. I mean is it an instant bad thing or a potential failure thing that is bound to go bad in the future without me knowing that my comps. are getting messed up.

The 7800GT is a good card, and definitely more powerful than the ones discussed above. i used to run a 7800GTX, so I speak from experience.

The Turbolink would work to fill in, but I would not trust my components to a cheap PSU. When a PSU goes, it seldom ever dies alone; they tend to take other parts with them. You never really know... it may run for years, or it might blow tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom