Ouch. I just ordered a PCI-E Graphic card. - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 01:12 PM   #21 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

PCI-E = PCI Express

People were probably telling you to avoid AGP cards because they will be phased out one of these says, as will regular PCI slots.

There is really no way around it, if you want to get a decent, up to date graphics card, you will atleast need a new mother board, and you'll probably need a new case too unless you buy the motherboard from HP, because I doubt you'll find a motherboard that has outputs in the same lay out as the HP case was designed for.

Old 10-08-2005, 01:41 PM   #22 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yea, Newegg.com is awesome. Tigerdirect is too. There are a ton of "pc building" guides out there that should be pretty easy to follow. Just read through and get to know the different parts of a computer. It's much cheaper that way, and you'll notice that upgrading an already made PC to top of the line costs just as much as buying a brand new computer that is about 1/5 the quality of what you could build with hand picked parts.

Old 10-08-2005, 03:32 PM   #23 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Blizzy
Here are the specifications for this computer:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...0290333#N10042
Wow, i've never seen a Socket 775 motherboard that doesn't have either an AGP or PCI-E slot on it..:amazed:

Anyway, you don't really need to get a new pc, just buy a new motherboard (that supports PCI-E), and perhaps upgrade the ram to 2 gigs.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:18 PM   #24 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Jayce

Quote:
Originally posted by cedjunior
PCI-E = PCI Express

People were probably telling you to avoid AGP cards because they will be phased out one of these says, as will regular PCI slots.

There is really no way around it, if you want to get a decent, up to date graphics card, you will atleast need a new mother board, and you'll probably need a new case too unless you buy the motherboard from HP, because I doubt you'll find a motherboard that has outputs in the same lay out as the HP case was designed for.
Really hate to ask a question in a thread I didn't create, but I figured while this thread is on the same topic I'm questioning I figured, eh, what the hell?

I'm looking at my mobo specs online and it has one PCIE port, 3 PCI ports, and one PCIE16 port? Or something... Question is, is the PCIE port dedicated to graphics cards only? Or is there other PCIE items that if you were going to buy a motherboard, it would be sensible to get more than 1 PCIE port?
Old 10-08-2005, 11:27 PM   #25 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by FghtinIrshNvrDi
don't forget www.monarchcomputers.com They're good people from what I hear.
Personally monarchcomputers just pisses me off. I can never find what I'm looking for there and their prices are not as good as newegg's 80% of the time.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:50 PM   #26 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to schulz269

I would use newegg there shipping is awsome!

Closed Thread