Opteron 180

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Opteron line is AMD's server line of processors. There are many here though, that use the Opteron for gaming, and general usage.
the socket 939 opterons are actually the same as the socket 939 Athlon 64's, just with a different label.

The opterons always have 2x1MB L2 cache though.

the socket 939 opterons are actually the same as the socket 939 Athlon 64's, just with a different label.

The opterons always have 2x1MB L2 cache though.

Ins't the Athlon 64 not Dual core though...So opteron is the same just two?

The Athlon 64's have "X2" models... the X2 designates dual core.

This is a good thread.... I was going to start one up too, but just haven't had a chance. I am using an Athlon 64 3500+, and would like to upgrade... FX-60 is 'highest' CPU for Socket 939, but they are not easy to find (no Ebay access from work... grrr), and the ones I have found are $500+ NIB.... I would be better off building a Quad core system from the ground up. I was thinking about an Opteron, but wasn't sure. I would like to see more from users using the Opty's... If not that, then I might look into 4800+ X2. I am fairly content with what I have now, but there are a few times when a second core would benefit me.

The Athlon 64's have "X2" models... the X2 designates dual core.

This is a good thread.... I was going to start one up too, but just haven't had a chance. I am using an Athlon 64 3500+, and would like to upgrade... FX-60 is 'highest' CPU for Socket 939, but they are not easy to find (no Ebay access from work... grrr), and the ones I have found are $500+ NIB.... I would be better off building a Quad core system from the ground up. I was thinking about an Opteron, but wasn't sure. I would like to see more from users using the Opty's... If not that, then I might look into 4800+ X2. I am fairly content with what I have now, but there are a few times when a second core would benefit me.

don't get that FX, really crappy for the major price, actually they released that at a bad time, Zach, why don't u just upgrade to a biostar tforce550 or evga 590 and get an x2 3600+ (the upgrade would cost 200$ for the af64, oem x2 3600+ and the biostar tforce550) and reuse everything and push the x2 3600+ to 3.0ghz, ask nagasama to guide u thru it, and then u can get a Phenom

I can't, cause at the moment I am using an SFF Shuttle barebones.... only looking for CPU upgrade right now. Aslo, I have DDR, and AM2 needs DDR2.... so for the time being, I just want to upgrade to dual core. I have found some X2's for fairly cheap, but wasn't sure wether to go X2, or Opteron.

If I was going to build fresh, I would no doubt go with Intel Core 2...

I can't, cause at the moment I am using an SFF Shuttle barebones.... only looking for CPU upgrade right now. Aslo, I have DDR, and AM2 needs DDR2.... so for the time being, I just want to upgrade to dual core. I have found some X2's for fairly cheap, but wasn't sure wether to go X2, or Opteron.

If I was going to build fresh, I would no doubt go with Intel Core 2...

opty 165 then

Well, if I do go Opteron, I will DEF. go for the 165, as it is $140 cheaper than the 185, and the only difference appears to be the 1.8Ghz vs 2.6Ghz... With the Shuttle CPU heatsink setup, I could probably get 2.2ish out of it, or at least 2.0Ghz..

But how does the Opteron stack up against the X2's? The only difference I can see is that the Hypertransport on the Opty's is 1000Mhz, and it is 2000Mhz on the X2's... Anyone have a link to benchmarks between the 2?

Thanks for the link....

Also, I found this... AnandTech: Crowning a new Champ; AMD's Opteron 165

Get this.... last sentence of the article...
"Opterons are known for their general overclockablity, so going with one of these new low cost behemoths and then overclocking in excess of 2.6GHz on air with the stock HSF is an easy possibility!"

I suppose 165 it will be.

I would suggest the OP maybe look into the 165 also, and use the $70 difference for a nice cooling unit for it, which should be able to easily make up the 600Mhz difference in clock speed.

Now, only if I didn't get that $95 ticket yesterday, I TOTALLY could have ordered a 165 today. :(

Thanks for the link....
...... Now, only if I didn't get that $95 ticket yesterday, I TOTALLY could have ordered a 165 today. :(

LOL!!!

ya a lot of ppl have had good results with a opteron 165, there's zmatt, and krazyq .. in fact i've never heard anyone with bad results...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom