opionions on two computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

canooten

In Runtime
Looking at buying a new machine and have not computer shopped in a few years. This is my first real look at multi core processors and I'm not really up to speed on what is best.
Been price shopping for a while and have my eye on two systems. One is bare bones, the other an assembled system, but wanted opinions on the hardware.

This is will not be used for gaming, but I want a system that will give the best performance for the money for a good amount of time.

Asus Essentio CG5270-BP003 Refurbished Desktop PC - Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR2, 750GB HDD, DVDRW, Vista Home Premium 64-bit RB-CG5270-BP003-NOAC at TigerDirect

Intel Core i5 Barebone Kit - Intel H55HC Mobo, Intel Core i5 650 CPU, Corsair 4GB RAM, Hitachi Deskstar 1TB Internal HD, Lite-On DVD Writer, NZXT Tempest Mid-Tower Case, Ultra LSP650 650W PSU at TigerDirect.com

The O/S difference is not an issue....I will install Win7 fresh on any system I get. I know one big drawback of the assembled system is the power supply, but I have a new 550 watt PS on the shelf that I could put in that one immediately.

I like the board layout of the kit better, but the only real expansion I need is an X1 slot for a tuner card (can ditch the wireless care in the Asus to get that)

Open to other suggestions in this price range....I like TigerDirect since I have a business account with them and get free shipping and no tax with them, but would look elsewhere if the deal is good.

You seem pretty handy. Any reason why you would not build it yourself? It seems you have some parts already. If you list what you have we could piece a build together for you.

The i5 is a much better machine but I do not like the mb or psu and the ram while great is overpriced.

I could build....built my current computer, but the last couple I have built have had issues. Not sure if it's hardware incompatibility or driver conflicts or what, but my my current machine I've had for 2 or 3 years and ever since the beginning it has had random freezes. Never been able to isolate a reason, but it will occasionally freeze....no error/blue screen, anything, just totally locks up with all info still visible on screen. Did it when I originally had XP Pro on it and continues with Vista today. I've lived with it since it's not all the time, but now that I'm regularly using the tuner card to record TV, it's irritating to have lockups in the middle of a recording or while playing back a recording.

All that said, I thought I'd get this one either already assembled, or already pieced out. Will consider a build if someone has suggestions of hardware that plays together well.
I don't have much to put toward a build.....I want to keep enough parts from my current machine to piece it back together and keep it usable. I have a PS and OS...one DVD writer I could spare from the old one...would need most everything else. I would take the HD from the old one and use as a 2nd in the new....I have a few new 250gb drives and could spare one for the old .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom