Opinion on my build

Status
Not open for further replies.

johns622

Baseband Member
My current setup is a little over 2 years old. It's tired. Mobo beeps at start-up, I get NLTDR error that I cannot seem to fix (I get around it by keeping my mobo install CD in my CD-ROM. NO CLUE why it lets it get around it), it reboots on it's own if I touch certain parts or bump it (even lightly) accidentally... I'm just tired of trying to find out what's wrong. With that being said, I want to upgrade.

I'm going to keep the same case. It's beat up and a few things are loose, but it still does the job and I like it because it has 2 holes on 1 side and 1 hole on the top for new fans I will include in the new build. I'm also going to keep the same power supply (listed below).

Mobo:
Newegg.com - ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard
** Question regarding the mobo... Does it matter which slots I use for the memory and my PCI-E 2.0 x16 video card?

Processor:
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor ADX640WFGMBOX

RAM:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

HDD:
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - Operating Systems

3x 120mm fans:
Newegg.com - Scythe SY1225SL12M 120mm "Slipstream" Case Fan

1x 80mm fan:
Newegg.com - Scythe S-FLEX SFF80C 80mm Case Fan

Old PSU I'm re-using (surprised they still sell it!):
Newegg.com - OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7

Computer use includes:
- Adobe Photoshop CS3
- World of Warcraft (dual box)
- Fruity Loops 9
- Counter-Strike
- AIM, Ventrilo, MSN Messenger, Winamp, FireFox
- Dual 23" monitors
- Movies

95% of the time, I have almost everything above running at once. The only things I do not have running constantly in the list above are Photoshop, Fruity Loops (use it when I need it), and Counter-Strike (play it when I'm not playing WoW). But I usually have 5+ FireFox running, 2 WoW's, all my messenger programs, and a movie going. I know I don't need a quad core for the things I do but I feel like my current dual core isn't really as fast as I'd like for it to be, and why not just spend an extra $20 over a triple-core.

Opinions?

I have an older version of that board. The top PCI-E is the x16 one, so your card should be installed there. As for memory, the channels are the slots next to each other (the two black go together and the two blue go together). Put your RAM in the two black slots unless your cooler is in the way; use the blue slots if it is. Here is a combo with that board and the Athlon II x4 640 together for $184 and a $15 rebate card.

Everything looks good. You may want to consider a CPU cooler if the stock Athlon II cooler is the same one they use for the Phenom II's as they are loud.

Thanks Trotter.

I don't think I'm going to worry about the CPU cooler since I'll be running 4 higher dba/fans ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom