Operating System Drive Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalcon12

Beta member
I would like to upgrade to a new drive in my computer. Can I simply copy the files from the old operating system drive onto the new drive and have it boot up properly, or is this not possible? That is, if I do copy all the files over, what if anything do I need to do in order to make it boot properly? Thanks.

If you want to change the hard drive and have an OS on it, you can't just simply drag the files over. It doesn't work that way. You have to reinstall windows on the new hard drive. If you don't want to do that, you can keep your current hard drive with the OS, and just add in the new hard drive as a secondary for storage and other things.

OK, thanks. I have this new 10,000 RPM drive I wanted to use as the OS drive rather than the 7,200 RPM drive. I didn't want to loose all my settings in Windows and other software, but it looks like I cannot avoid this. I thought there perhaps was some sort of batch file one could make to have it boot up the copied OS files on the drive. Thanks again anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom