open box laptop w/ no recovery disk - a mistake? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 05-30-2006, 03:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default open box laptop w/ no recovery disk - a mistake?

I recently purchased from a well-known big box electronics retailer an open box Toshiba Satellite notebook computer running Windows XP. All I got was computer w/ battery and ac adapter. Their tech department supposedly did a "restore" on it before they gave it to me. I am still within the window of time I can return it. My questions...

1) The computer came with no recovery disk - the drive has a partition with everything for a restore to factory condition and the retailer will make a recovery cd for $30. Is there any way I can make this recovery disk myself (I've been researching - are we talking making a hard drive disk image here? I don't mind paying the $30 to the retailer if that's the best way, I just want to make sure I'm not getting ripped off.) and what would it have on it?

2) Have I made a mistake purchasing an open box computer? I realized I have no product key for Windows, etc. Am I missing anything I really shouldn't be caught without? This was a display model - if I see no external damage am I OK if they did a "restore" before I got it?

Update: Some possible answers I've found in other threads...Toshiba won't sell a recovery disk and there is no application I can find on the laptop to create one.

Old 05-30-2006, 03:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via AIM to ulater6000 Send a message via Yahoo to ulater6000

What are the specs on the PC, and how much did you pay for it?

CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, Cisco CCENT, Cisco CCNA Routing & Switching
Old 05-30-2006, 03:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Bear with me, let me know if you need to know anything else....

120 GB harddrive
Intel Pentium M 750
DVD +/- R double layer
14" screen
wireless 2200bg
Windows xp home edition

I use a computer for freelancing work, mostly word processing. No gaming. We also use it for wireless surfing the internet.

Paid $820 plus tax and $200 service contract which will replace the battery once.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I should add...

I bought open box because I had picked out that particular model and they didn't have any in stock. It was on clearance so getting one from another location was a long shot. We discussed it probably won't run Windows Vista very well, but that's OK, I anticipate no desire to upgrade to Vista.

Why I'd like to have the recovery disk. On an old Compaq laptop with the same setup, we messed with the partitions when installing Win 2000 on it to run a certain program, and the "restore cd" wouldn't work when we wanted to get a clean slate - all the info was still there in the other partition - Compaq sent a "recovery cd" and it worked fine.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
There and Back again

My wife has a toshiba and I has to "re-formet" her's once... It does ask for that disk when I started the recovery, so IMO I would spend the money and get one.

Dell 4K S2817Q / Logitech Z-680 / Func MS3 Mouse / Corsair K70
NZXT Source 530 / i7-3770K / Corsair H100 / ASRock Z77 Extreme4 / SoundBlaster Recon3d
Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSD/Seagate 1TB/2TB/WD 2TB
4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 / PNY GTX 980 ti/ Seasonic M12II 850W
Old 05-30-2006, 04:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Send a message via Yahoo to Edward

There is a way to make yopr own recovery disk I don't know how usually the software is on the computer if not it should be possible to download it from somewhere. If that fails there was a post on these forums in the last 48 hours describing the process. You could try looking for that.
(\\__/) This is Bunny. Put him in your
(=\'.\'=) signature and help him on his way
(\")_(\") to world domination
Old 05-30-2006, 09:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks, all.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie

30$ for a recovery disk?! wow that happened to me with a computer but they sent me a free one cheap... asses.

Closed Thread