Which one should i buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rifting1991

Beta member
Let me start this post off by saying hello :) I'v often browsed these forums but i thought it was about time i join and get in on posting. So now that i have a new job and some disposable income i want to purchase a computer but i just cant afford to buy a nice one so i was gona go through aarons rent a center place so i could just do monthly payments on one. I know in the long run il end up paying more but its really the only option i have at the moment. The computer will be used for gaming mostly. I really only play mmos on the computer such as Lotro, a bit of WoW , and Rift. Im absolutly addicted to Rift lol. Its actually the main reason for a new computer . i have no problem playing it on just the medium settings so im curious if these computers can at least handle that .Sooooo with all that being said here are the system settings for Rift.

Minimum System Specifications
Operating system: Windows XP, Vista, or 7
Processor: Dual Core 2.0 GHz or better
Memory: 2 GB
Hard disk space: 15.0 GB available
Video: Nvidia GeForce FX 5900, ATI/AMD Radeon X300, Intel GMA X4500, or better
Sound: DirectX 8.1 compliant card
DirectX®: 9.0c, June 2010 update
Broadband internet connection (DSL, cable modem, or other high speed connection)

Recommended System Specifications
Operating system: Windows XP, Vista, or 7
Processor: Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz or better
Memory: 4 GB
Hard disk space: 15.0 GB available
Desktop Video: Nvidia GTS 250 or better
Notebook Video: Nvidia GTX 200M series or better
Sound: DirectX 8.1 compliant card
DirectX®: 9.0c, June 2010 update
Broadband internet connection (DSL, cable modem, or other high speed connection)

Now im not the greatest with computers. the most iv ever done with one is change out the psu and put in a better graphics card but other then that i dont know alot but im trying to learn so in the long run i can get some money saved up and build a really good gaming computer. So here are the two choices i currently have for the moment.

17.3" AMD ATHLON II P340 Laptop

• AMD Dual-Core A4-3300M Accelerated Processor
  • AMD Radeon HD 6480M Graphics
  • 4GB DDR3 1333MHz (max 8GB)
  • 500GB (5400 RPM); Serial ATA hard disk drive
  • DVD SuperMulti drive supporting 11 formats
  • 17.3" diagonal widescreen TruBrite TFT display at 1600 x 900 native resolution (HD+)
  • DOLBY Advanced Audio
  • Webcam and microphone
  • 10/100 Ethernet
  • Wi-Fi Wireless networking (802.11b/g/n)
  • 1 HDMI, 3 USB 2.0 ports
and heres the second one

• [h=1]20" Omni All-in-One Desktop Computer[/h]
  • Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-BIT
  • AMD Athlon II 250U dual-core processor (1.60GHZ)
  • 3GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM memory (expandable to 8GB)
  • 500GB 7200RPM serial ATA hard drive
  • Slim tray Supermulti DVD burner with Lightscribe technology
  • ATI Radeon HD 4270 integrated graphics
  • Wireless LAN 802.11B/G/N
  • High-performance 2.0 speakers
  • 20" diagonal widescreen HD 1600x900 LCD display

now with the desktop choice i was thinking perhaps i could just upgrade the psu,graphics card and the ram. i also noticed the processor is only 1.60 GHZ so i was wondering if i could still upgrade that too or if it would run Rift on medium the way it is with the other upgrades since im a little nervous about swapping it out since iv never done that before lol. or if it would just be a better choice to just go with the laptop. i really really wish i had more options but sadly i dont :( Any and all advice and opinions will be greatly appreciated. And sorry if this post was a bit long winded but i just wanted to get all the details out there. Thanks everyone :)

It'll run on either on low settings. You're right about it costing more in the long run, IMO it's *usually* worth it to save up and buy. If that's not an option for you though, then I guess it's this or nothing!

Will they allow you to upgrade the hardware in the machine yourself? Never rented one myself :S

With the laptop I think you can play on low settings.
Desktop, probably can't even run it.

Do you have any money saved up at all so you can build one?
How much is that laptop to rent/buy?

Aarons won't let you open the PC. Just to clear that up, My friend has worked there for years.

And as for money saved up I haven't been able too save any up due to expenses and bills and such but as for monthley payments it shouldn't be too bad. .when my buddy got a TV from there it was around 50 a month if I remember correctly . .I just haven't gotten the chance to go to the store to ask for pricing yet lol

If you really need one, it might be cheaper to buy one on credit then pay off the bank. But you'd have to calculate whatever interest rate they give you against how often you'll be able to make payments etc.

I was worried they would have a policy like that.
And I have thought about trying to get one with credit but I'm not even sure I have any Lol. .worth a shot to try it though

I don't know all the details personally, but I would look in to the "Bill Me Later" option for Newegg.com.
Lets you build your own computer and pay later/over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom