Older HDD in new PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcrobot

In Runtime
I have an older PC with a Western Digital 40GB HDD that's IDE.
My future mobo ( click here ) supports SATA... Should I buy a converter?
Thanks!

nitestick said:
no i would still use it as IDE. if you're going to use SATA buy an SATA drive. i'm assuming that the board has IDE connectors right?
This is what the specs are for storage on the future mobo:

Storage Devices
PATA 2 x ATA 133 up to 4 Devices
PATA RAID NV RAID 0/1/0+1 JBOD
SATA 4 x SATA 150
SATA RAID NV RAID 0/1/0+1 JBOD

nitestick said:
yeah, save yourself some money by just using it as ATA. i'm no expert on SATA but i think using a converter will not provide any performance increase.
How would I do that? (Using it as ATA, I mean..) As you can tell I don't know much about this... :sigh:

Just use your old cable and connect it to the spot on your mobo that says IDE-0 or PATA or ATA. Check your manual, too.

TheMajor said:
Just use your old cable and connect it to the spot on your mobo that says IDE-0 or PATA or ATA. Check your manual, too.
So, it should work then... Cool!
Thanks!

will definately work. i run an old ide on my new motherboard with raid and all of the goodies. most new boards still have at least one ide connection.

hefemeister said:
will definately work. i run an old ide on my new motherboard with raid and all of the goodies. most new boards still have at least one ide connection.
The mobo I'm looking at (MSI K8N Neo4-F) didn't have one listed, so I wasn't sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom