Older Dell desktop hardware questions. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 04-30-2010, 12:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Older Dell desktop hardware questions.

I would really appreciate if someone could take the time to answer two questions that I have.

I have a hard drive that was taken out of a Dell Dimension 2400 desktop computer. I previously used a 2400 with the 2.2 GHz Intel Celeron processor. Anyway, now all I have is the hard drive and I want to get another Dimension 2400 to put the hard drive in.

My first question is about the processors of the 2400. It has:

-Intel® Pentium® 4 that runs at 2.2 or 2.4 GHz internally and 400 MHz externally,
or 2.266, 2.4, 2.53, 2.66, 2.8, or 3.06 GHz internally and 533 MHz externally.
-Intel Celeron® that runs at 2.0, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, or 2.7 GHz internally
and 400 MHz externally.

Obviously the 3.06 GHz Pentium 4 and the 2.7 GHz Intel Celeron would be the best choices. My question is which of these processors would perform better (if anyone has experience/knowledge of both)? I understand that the Pentium 4 runs at some higher specs, but I've never used a Pentium 4 processor and I remember reading somewhere about "issues" with them-I really can't remember what but it was about performance or perhaps compatibility with running processor heavy software.

My next question is about its memory, its specs state that it has two memory connectors with capacities of 128, 256, and 512 MB but then it states that the maximum memory is 2 GB. So how can one have 2 GB of RAM memory with two 512 MB's in the slots?

Thanks to anyone who can help,

Old 04-30-2010, 02:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Re: Older Dell desktop hardware questions.

P4 technology is better than celeron.

as for the memory, something is wrong. i would check crucial's website. it'll ask you for a manufacturer>series>model or something like that so put in dell>dimension desktops>dimension 2400.
that should bring you to a page that tells you the total number of available slots and the maximum for each slot/system.

or maybe, if you update the bios, it will support more memory than it's original specifications.
There are 10 types of people in this world. People who understand binary and people who don't.
Closed Thread