Old games, Intel, no PC aptitude... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 07:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Old games, Intel, no PC aptitude...

Hello Tech Forums! I am very uninformed about computers.

I have question,

Is it possible to install a Pentium IV from a 400 watt system into a 300 watt system? I have an Emachines (never again) with a Celeron 356 D. I don't understand if processor means the whole motherboard, or just a part of it. Also, I don't know if the Pentium is actually 400 yet, so even if it were another 300....?

All I want to play Combat Arms and Halo 1 online, but it's too choppy. I know the 950 GMA is crap, but Halo is old. I tried to get newer drivers but Emachines won't let me--and their latest driver is "no longer available". From what I read these drivers would help (supporting T&L would help, right?) I have 1.5 GB RAM.

Is it just that the Celeron is too weak? 533MHz when Halo requires 733--that would make a big difference, right?

And don't just tell me this system isn't meant for gaming, I already know all about that. I'm looking for human intelligence, I'm sick of hours of googling which can't answer these Q's.

I had to give up xbox for tendonitis, this is the first time I've given PC any attention (and I like it!). Point A is choppy laggy, Point B is unchoppy unlaggy. I just want to play the first Halo online!

Directions??? Suggestions??? Detailed answers???

thanks!

Old 01-10-2009, 07:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Patron

Default Re: Old games, Intel, no PC aptitude...

Ok firstly can you give full system details you can find this out through the now discontinued everest home/free edition if you do not know. You could give us the model number and I don't mind doing some googling and look it up although prefer if you do the "leg work" as such.

Games mainly require a good gpu to work the cpu is not a main component as such in the prcoess providing it is fast enough to let the data through and secondary process. In conclusion I can't help until you give me more facts.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Ah, okay well I'm on 32 bit Vista Home Basic. This is a T3604.

Other than that, I don't know what else to tell you. I just don't know much about pcs but am trying to learn a little. The Everest thingy seems to be discontinued. Are there any other free programs like it?

I guess I could call the emachines support number, but I just can't understand Pakistani/Hindi over the phone.

Obviously when I am rich I will buy a good pc, now that I know a little, and this one I have was a super deal I had to take after my last machine had a meltdown. I just want some inroads to finding out what I can do to optimize this one, and what it's absolute limitations are. Like if it's even worth it to buy an actual video card.

Games mainly require a good gpu to work the cpu is not a main component as such in the prcoess providing it is fast enough to let the data through and secondary process.

GPU? Baaack to google...
Old 01-10-2009, 11:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

According to emachines site your system has a pcie x16 slot so you can upgrade to a better graphics card which will give you the biggest performance increase in games. A HD 3650 would allow you to max out those games without a problem.

Newegg.com - ASUS EAH3650 SILENT MAGIC/HTDP/512M Radeon HD 3650 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition : Asus M4A89GTD PRO : Corsair 550VX
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4x2gb DDR3 1600 : MSI Geforce GTX 770 2gb : Antec 300
OCZ Agility 2 60gb SSD (OS) : SanDisk Ultra 120gb SSD (Apps) : Crucial M500 240gb (Steam) : Win 8.1 Pro 64bit
2x Samsung 2494LW & 1x Dell U2312HM Eyefinity

Lenovo ThinkPad X220 : Core i5 2410M : 12.5" 1366x768 IPS LED display : Intel 320 Series 120gb SSD

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 stock 4.3 : Nexus 7 2 stock 4.4

Old 01-10-2009, 02:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy45 View Post
Hello Tech Forums! I am very uninformed about computers.

I have question,

Is it possible to install a Pentium IV from a 400 watt system into a 300 watt system? I have an Emachines (never again) with a Celeron 356 D. I don't understand if processor means the whole motherboard, or just a part of it. Also, I don't know if the Pentium is actually 400 yet, so even if it were another 300....?

All I want to play Combat Arms and Halo 1 online, but it's too choppy. I know the 950 GMA is crap, but Halo is old. I tried to get newer drivers but Emachines won't let me--and their latest driver is "no longer available". From what I read these drivers would help (supporting T&L would help, right?) I have 1.5 GB RAM.

Is it just that the Celeron is too weak? 533MHz when Halo requires 733--that would make a big difference, right?

And don't just tell me this system isn't meant for gaming, I already know all about that. I'm looking for human intelligence, I'm sick of hours of googling which can't answer these Q's.

I had to give up xbox for tendonitis, this is the first time I've given PC any attention (and I like it!). Point A is choppy laggy, Point B is unchoppy unlaggy. I just want to play the first Halo online!

Directions??? Suggestions??? Detailed answers???

thanks!
Looks like that celron is 3.33GHz with a 533MHz FSB. Intel® Celeron® Processor Family 356 - SL96N

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Closed Thread