Old games, Intel, no PC aptitude...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dizzy45

Beta member
Hello Tech Forums! I am very uninformed about computers.

I have question,

Is it possible to install a Pentium IV from a 400 watt system into a 300 watt system? I have an Emachines (never again) with a Celeron 356 D. I don't understand if processor means the whole motherboard, or just a part of it. Also, I don't know if the Pentium is actually 400 yet, so even if it were another 300....?

All I want to play Combat Arms and Halo 1 online, but it's too choppy. I know the 950 GMA is crap, but Halo is old. I tried to get newer drivers but Emachines won't let me--and their latest driver is "no longer available". From what I read these drivers would help (supporting T&L would help, right?) I have 1.5 GB RAM.

Is it just that the Celeron is too weak? 533MHz when Halo requires 733--that would make a big difference, right?

And don't just tell me this system isn't meant for gaming, I already know all about that. I'm looking for human intelligence, I'm sick of hours of googling which can't answer these Q's.

I had to give up xbox for tendonitis, this is the first time I've given PC any attention (and I like it!). Point A is choppy laggy, Point B is unchoppy unlaggy. I just want to play the first Halo online!

Directions??? Suggestions??? Detailed answers???

thanks!

Ok firstly can you give full system details you can find this out through the now discontinued everest home/free edition if you do not know. You could give us the model number and I don't mind doing some googling and look it up although prefer if you do the "leg work" as such.

Games mainly require a good gpu to work the cpu is not a main component as such in the prcoess providing it is fast enough to let the data through and secondary process. In conclusion I can't help until you give me more facts.

Ah, okay well I'm on 32 bit Vista Home Basic. This is a T3604.

Other than that, I don't know what else to tell you. I just don't know much about pcs but am trying to learn a little. The Everest thingy seems to be discontinued. Are there any other free programs like it?

I guess I could call the emachines support number, but I just can't understand Pakistani/Hindi over the phone.

Obviously when I am rich I will buy a good pc, now that I know a little, and this one I have was a super deal I had to take after my last machine had a meltdown. I just want some inroads to finding out what I can do to optimize this one, and what it's absolute limitations are. Like if it's even worth it to buy an actual video card.

Games mainly require a good gpu to work the cpu is not a main component as such in the prcoess providing it is fast enough to let the data through and secondary process.

GPU? Baaack to google...

Hello Tech Forums! I am very uninformed about computers.

I have question,

Is it possible to install a Pentium IV from a 400 watt system into a 300 watt system? I have an Emachines (never again) with a Celeron 356 D. I don't understand if processor means the whole motherboard, or just a part of it. Also, I don't know if the Pentium is actually 400 yet, so even if it were another 300....?

All I want to play Combat Arms and Halo 1 online, but it's too choppy. I know the 950 GMA is crap, but Halo is old. I tried to get newer drivers but Emachines won't let me--and their latest driver is "no longer available". From what I read these drivers would help (supporting T&L would help, right?) I have 1.5 GB RAM.

Is it just that the Celeron is too weak? 533MHz when Halo requires 733--that would make a big difference, right?

And don't just tell me this system isn't meant for gaming, I already know all about that. I'm looking for human intelligence, I'm sick of hours of googling which can't answer these Q's.

I had to give up xbox for tendonitis, this is the first time I've given PC any attention (and I like it!). Point A is choppy laggy, Point B is unchoppy unlaggy. I just want to play the first Halo online!

Directions??? Suggestions??? Detailed answers???

thanks!

Looks like that celron is 3.33GHz with a 533MHz FSB. Intel® Celeron® Processor Family 356 - SL96N

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom