OKl how do I do this???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShannonRyu

Baseband Member
OK, how do I do this???

I have a stick of RAM that I need to plug into my open slot, and I am upgrading my video card from one built into my board to a Diablotek Radeon 9250 64MB AGP video card... how do I do it?

What will happen if I open it up, plug them in, and hook the monitor up tot he new slot then turn it back on??? Is it that easy? Do I need to load a driver or something? I really have little idea what I am doing...

Ok, is the stick of RAM you have compatible with your motherboard? That you need to know first of all.

If it is, then just stick it into an open slot (make sure the clips snap in place firmly).

And as for your videocard...do you have an AGP slot? If you do, then yes, just plug it in and boot up. You'll need to install the video drivers for it once windows loads. Either download them from the manufacturer's site, or if you have a CD, use that.

With the memory, yeah, it's that easy. With the video card, you should go online to ATI's website and download the latest drivers, good luck finding the correct ones for your 9250 by the way. I'm using 8.252 for my 9200, anything older or newer causes instant crashes.

With the memory, yeah, it's that easy. With the video card, you should go online to ATI's website and download the latest drivers, good luck finding the correct ones for your 9250 by the way. I'm using 8.252 for my 9200, anything older or newer causes instant crashes.

GREAT! Now I have to be worried about my new video card and monitor CRASHING?

The RAM and video card are correct for my computer, I'm just worried about installation proceedure.

I will plug in the ram and install the video card, plug the monitor into the new slot, and power up. The card is new and in the box, so it should have the driver... right? Without the driver loaded, I'll still get to view my desktop on my monitor until I load it, right?

GREAT! Now I have to be worried about my new video card and monitor CRASHING?
Crash how? As long as the card works/monitor works, and you install the drivers, there shouldn't be any issues.

The RAM and video card are correct for my computer, I'm just worried about installation proceedure.
Just make sure to touch the metal of your case before you touch any components to ground yourself out.

I will plug in the ram and install the video card, plug the monitor into the new slot, and power up. The card is new and in the box, so it should have the driver... right? Without the driver loaded, I'll still get to view my desktop on my monitor until I load it, right?

Yes, if it's brand new, it should have come with a driver CD. Yeah, you'll be able to view your desktop, as Windows will load a generic drive, but it'll be at a small resolution (like 800x600).

Carnage, you just do not know the trouble ATI has given me with their hideous drivers. If I do omega drivers, poof, my computer screen looks like a commodore amiga, litterally 4 colors on the screen and a res of what looks like 20x20. So, I download the latest catalyst drivers, poof, atari 2400. I finally found the best drivers for me, and the card works like a charm, and then windows wanted my to update me video card drivers, and I thought hey, windows at least might know what works, I'll try out the update, NO. My cmoputer reverted to an unusable pong style screen again. I mean, when you fist install a Nvidia video card, you might have less res and less colors before you install the proper drivers and change the settings, well, take that and multiply the effect by 1,000.

I should have not said crash, because it litterally won't crash it, just wait for it to be completely useless until you download and test a half dozen driver revisions. But other than that, the card works just as it should.

Oh, and all that is using the, ehem "recommended" drivers, ATI = Fail.

LOL...hence why I avoid ATI...they have horrible driver support xD. Always liked nVidia anyway xD.

Drivers? Download the Omega Drivers 3.8.252 here:
Radeon Omega Driver Downloads
Eighth one down the list.

ATI dropped driver support for the 9xxx series with Catalyst 6.6. Omega Drivers 3.8.252 is the last set edited for the 9xxx series.

Omega drivers are modified versions of the original drivers, The guy who does them takes them apart, gets rid of the junk, and optimizes them to work better than the originals.

*EDIT* Don't worry about the card... the bad experiences of some are not the experiences of all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom