odd situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

rando1000

Solid State Member
I've just put together a K8T890-A ECS mobo, Athlon64 939 processor, an AGP video card (previously used), 512 Mb DDR 333 RAM (used), and a couple of used hard drives. I had some trouble figuring out the front panel pins, but I think I got them right.

When I boot the machine, it powers up, all the fans start spinning, and the monitor stays blank. There's no POST warning, but no data is reaching the monitor, so I can't tell if it's reaching BIOS or not. Monitor is known good.

Any guesses as to what my problem might be?

Hey rando1000
Welcome-to-TF.png

So you don't hear any beep codes, while it's being turned on?

Do you have another memory stick you can try? This can test if the memory stick is faulty. If your 512 is 2 x 256, try taking one of them out.

Or try using another AGP video card.

Yeah, no beep codes. The memory is 256 X 2. I do have a seperate 64 MB I can try, and a really old AGP Card. I'll give those a shot. Personally, I'm suspecting either the AGP card died with the last PC it was in, or some other problem related to AGP.

Okay, tried changing out both RAM, the video card, and the monitor. none of them yield any different results. Still no error beeps of any type. Just no connection to video. As far as I know, the computer is booting properly every time. I just don't know any way to test it.

My board has an AGP Express slot, and my cards are both older (2 + years) AGP cards. Could this make a difference? The slot design fits my cards, so I assumed they're compatible.

That kinda leaves the motherboard...huh...

Have you tried doing the memtest, like saltynay mentioned?

It should be beeping, if something is wrong, but you probably don't have the internal speaker installed.

The front speaker pins are hooked up to the cable, which worked fine on the previous motherboard, so I assume if the setup was not correct, I would get POST codes. However, I guess if the motherboard is bad enough, I might not get that.

I had a thought; is it possible that the cmos battery is dead? Thus no boot to bios, and thus no POST or video?

Never mind the battery. I tried that, no help. I saw some post where someone suggested BIOS needed to be switched to AGP, but that seems useless, since I have no PCI-Express card by which to get video to change the BIOS.

It has happened to me once.
Take out your cpu....reseat it...and see what happens. Oh, make sure you put some thermal paste

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom