Nvidia GeForce 570, alledgedly broken? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 01-01-2011, 01:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Nvidia GeForce 570, alledgedly broken?

I was planning on putting this card into a build project as the reviews I had read had been quite positive. However, a fellow gamer who's a self-proclaimed teccie genius informed me the card is effectively broken.
As far as I can understand (please do bear with me, my brain died about halfway through the explanation), the 580's that can't cope with the full 512 CUDA processing sum through fault or whatever get bottlenecked to 480 cores active, which means that the card has to make 2 complete passes to complete a full sum........I think.
Can anyone confirm or deny, or even just explain to me what the **** he was on about?
Many thanks.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
muffin enthusiast
Default Re: Nvidia GeForce 570, alledgedly broken?

i guess technically it could possibly be considered "broken" because it doesn't use a full gf110 gpu, that would be the gtx 580. but it's not broken as in it's a bad card.

its a 580 with some cores disabled, along with other adjustments, to get a 570. kind of like the binning process for some cpu's like phenoms. if they're not cut out to be quads, disable a core or two to get a x3 or x2, whether it be for actual defects or supply/demand.

reading some reviews would help if you want a real thorough explanation.
Closed Thread