NOT a gaming PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
the only real reason you would go from intel to AMD is if you are OC'ing since the P4s run too hot to OC under stock cooling but fine at stock speeds, that P4 is great for your purpose

Hmm.. Well you guys are no fun! :) J/K.. I do have 1 gig of ram now, but plan to upgrade to more because I run a virtual machine environment. The motherboard I am using now is the Asus P4G800-V. I was doing a little research on it, and much to my surprise It can take a lot faster processor. I don't know what "kind" of processor I have now. (Prescott?) Anyone know of software that can tell you? I'll search this board for it also. If I was going to just update the processor instead of the whole board, what would you recommend? I know you guys are saying I should stick with what I have, but I a have a couple hundred bucks to put towards my PC and would really like to make it a little faster. I saw this one on newegg: 3.2 Prescott That would be right in my budget and looks to be a pretty good speed increase. I can also sell the old processor and not be out too much for the upgrade. I just don't know my P4's to know if the prescott s the chip I should get. Again.. Thanks for all the help. I am new to this board and am really impressed at the quick responses!!
EDIT: Another quick question...Bios Update I need to use the AFUDOS.EXE, but do I need the bios file to be on the floppy also. From the path they show I can't tell if I can point it to my C drive, or if the .rom needs to be on the floppy.
EDIT2: I found CPU-Z to find out that I now have the Northwood P4. Looks like the prescott runs hotter, but I woul d not be overclocking so I should be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom