Nooby help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ztr3ngth

Solid State Member
Ive come accross quite a few occasions where i have 1% memory left on my comp, its 11% now with pretty much all useless junk deleted or uninstalled completely. i was wondering about an external harddrive to boost the memory. My P.C's capacity at the moment is 37.24GB.

my comps specs are:

Dell dimension dim2300

Intel (R) Pentium (R)

4 CPU 1.80GHz

512 MB of RAM

The other thing i was thinking about was RAM, im pretty sure only have 2 slots for RAM and there both taken with 2 256's. I might be wrong but im thinking having a bit more RAM knocking about would boost by P.C's overall speed, as it does lag on a few games, e.g. Battlefield 2, but that does have high req's. would you know what to look out for?

Im lead to think that graphics card help with speed on movies, games, stuff like that. ive got a nvidea GeForce FX 5200. Is that worth upgrading at all?

Would you have any reccomendations on Upgrades or things to look out for?

Thanks all

Welcome to T F ztr3ngth!

That hard drive will do the job. Western Digital is one of the top 2 brands of hard drives, next to Seagate.

As for the RAM, you definitely need more, especially if you're playing games. 1GB at least. So get 2 x 512MB sticks of 168-Pin SDRAM PC 133.

To make sure that is the right type of RAM, can you please download a program called CPU-Z, and post a screenshot of the Memory and SPD tabs?

yeah np il do that now, sorry about the double posts i thought i was in the wrong forum :/ my bad

EDIT:

would 2 sticks of 1GB be too much and not work for my system? to be honest alot of it depends on my budget, which to be completely honest i havent decided on im just open for all suggestions

screenygd0.png

thanks for the advice

ooh, great help people thanks :)

would 1GB RAM be ideal for games such as BF2? i mean i can run bf2 now, but i have to have all the settings to low and it still lags. and is my graphics card reasonable?

Oh, so that means you can only run either 1 stick of 1GB or DIMM 512mb's.

It doesn't accept sticks bigger than 512MB. So he should get 2 x 512MB.

ooh, great help people thanks :)

would 1GB RAM be ideal for games such as BF2? i mean i can run bf2 now, but i have to have all the settings to low and it still lags. and is my graphics card reasonable?

1GB isn't ideal for games, but acceptable and playable. Your graphic card is also the factor. How much are you in for a gfx card?

to be honest it depends, if a gfx card update would boost my speed then i am all in for one, price to be honest doesnt bother me im willing to save up lol, just something reasonable that does the job nicely with a little extra kick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom