~Noob~Want to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The e6400 is basically the same as the e6300 only with higher clock speeds, which can be easily achieved with the e6300 without it even breaking into a sweat :p

@ dipique, the price difference between the e6300 and the e6600 is alot when your budget is $1k, however both CPU's are more than adequate, and will be for a long while, so I think in this instance the e6300 would be the better choice.

Did you take my avatar picture? Haha... anyways...

You're right of course; both would be adequate. I think the E6600 is worth the price though, for double the cache and nowhere near double the cash :p

The e6400 is basically the same as the e6300 only with higher clock speeds, which can be easily achieved with the e6300 without it even breaking into a sweat

There seems to be a bit of a misunderstanding of overclocking, here. C2D Extreme runs at 2.93Ghz; the E6300 runs at 1.86Ghz. But that doesn't mean that if you overclocked the E6300 to 2.94Ghz (possible, if you got a good one), you'd have a C2DE. You would have to overclock significantly higher to get equivalent performance.

The E6600 can be overclocked that high without undue strain, and its clock speeds should be relatively comparable with a C2DE.

Dan

There seems to be a bit of a misunderstanding of overclocking, here. C2D Extreme runs at 2.93Ghz; the E6300 runs at 1.86Ghz. But that doesn't mean that if you overclocked the E6300 to 2.94Ghz (possible, if you got a good one), you'd have a C2DE. You would have to overclock significantly higher to get equivalent performance.

Ofc it wouldn't because the C2D extreme features Hyper Threading and 4MB cache, but I'm saying that the e6300 and e6400 are essentially the same technology only at different clock speeds.

dipique said:
If you have a thousand dollars to spend on a PC, why on earth would you buy an X2 3800+? It's slower, has less cache, and it's completely outclassed.
The thing is he wants a basic PC which he can upgrade later. For the things he will use his PC for, he prolly would not even notice that a difference. A X2 3800 will do the job fine and save money.

dipique said:
Hard drive access time is the slowest thing on pretty much any computer. If you've ever used RAID, you know that it changes the whole feel of the computer. It feels much more responsive.

Raid on a basic computer ? Totally not needed. I'm sure while he is loading D2 he can wait an extra 3 seconds to play.

dipique said:
Yes, 2GB. I still can't believe I'm hearing this. Even 2GB is going to seem inadequate in a year.

Key word in there is in a year. If you read the original post it says, ' I would like a basic computer that i can upgrade later when i have more knowledge.. Key words upgrade later. Another thing, 2gb ram for Linux? lol. O-V-E-R-K-I-L-L.

The thing is he wants a basic PC which he can upgrade later. For the things he will use his PC for, he prolly would not even notice that a difference. A X2 3800 will do the job fine and save money.

He said "the faster the better." He said "budget: 1K." I was quoting the least bottlenecked system possible for a thousand dollars. Upgrades would center on the video card, display, etc.

Raid on a basic computer ? Totally not needed. I'm sure while he is loading D2 he can wait an extra 3 seconds to play.

RAID used to be a big deal, but now it's a couple hundred dollars for both hard drives, you plug them in and they work. Faster. What's the complaint? Anyways, it's not DII that the hard drive helps; it's normal OS operation.

Another thing, 2gb ram for Linux?

RAM keeps computers snappy long after their golden days are over. It's a good investment, especially if he plans on programming.

Dan

Ok... now i am scared to make a computer! So i think im gonna hold on that maybe for a bit. Whats your guy's feelings on Gateway computers?

Any computer you buy from Dell/Gateway/HP will have a cheap PSU, weak components and a ton of preloaded crap. I highly recommend either going private or making your own.

Dan

if i were you, i would just keep reading around and figuring out what technology meets your needs. obviously people have different opinions but if you keep reading you can form your own and make a decision from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom