Noob looking for computer building advice. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 01-01-2011, 01:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Noob looking for computer building advice.

Hey, I've been planning to get a new computer for a while, and finally decided to get to it.

I have really no idea at all about building computers, but I'm basically looking for a gaming computer for around $400, right now I mainly just play World of Warcraft and looking for something that could play that well, but if my computer would be capable I'd like to start getting into some FPS's like CoD:BO, or BFBC2.

I was talking to a friend and he gave me the outline for a computer he was gonna buy, but didn't.

Graphics Card
Power Supply

Now I know this computer doesn't have a CD Drive or Hard Drive, for CD Drive I just want anything cheap that gets the job done. And I probably don't need much memory on my Hard Drive, anything around 200GBs should be more than enough. Right now the stuff I linked is a total of $263, and I couldn't imagine the CD Drive and Hard Drive being too much so I could probably throw like $100 more in there, probably in the Graphics Card. Also the case seems kinda expensive so if anyone has any better suggestions there, that would be great.

Oh, and I already have two of these RAMs with me, so can't really change those.

So any help would be greatly appreciated, because I'm pretty lost right now and don't want to end up making any mistakes with this, thanks for your time

Old 01-01-2011, 08:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: Noob looking for computer building advice.

Actually, now that I think about it I could probably push that budget up to about $500, so use that instead.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Originally Posted by HardOCP
With the PHD650, Diablotek seemingly tried to polish a turd with a turd and as such we got the expected outcome, a pile of crap. Given the horrible build quality of the unit and poor component selection of the unit that is hardly a startling result. With a current price of ~$49.99, users would be better off taking their cash and setting it on fire rather than buying this unit. There is quite literally no price point or situation where the Diablotek PHD650 should be a consideration for users as it failed almost every test possible today. Retailers and e-tailers should be ashamed to be selling such a product.
There's no reason to think the Diablotek 450 is going to be better than the 650.

This is Corsairs cheapest model of power supply. Because it's "cheaper" it may have a higher failure rate than there more expensive models. But it's better than all the other "Cheaper Brands" and Corsair has excellent customer support if you do have a problem. - CORSAIR Builder Series CMPSU-500CX 500W ATX12V v2.3 Active PFC Power Supply
Old 01-04-2011, 02:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

You could save a little more money by going with - CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 CMPSU-430CX 430W ATX12V Active PFC Power Supply
This power supply should suffice, assuming you are not going to buy a better graphics card.
Build to be updated, a reminder to myself.
Closed Thread