NO! Why me?

Gothch1ck

Daemon Poster
So, a great disaster has occured and I am running through the options.

First of all:
I have already contacted XFX and AMD and await replies. This is a filler/informational Thread to help me decide what to do.

The problem:
My GPU has stopped working properly. Windows Aero error now states "your graphics device is not capable of running Windows Aero" or some such error. (not word for word.)
Games - stutter, lag, freeze.
System-- completely freezes up and/or displays "driver has stopped working suddenly" errors.
Driver UPDATES seem to have made the problem WORSE, rolling back has not resolved anything, going to a really old driver has not resolved anything.

Heat is about normal. Fan speed is cranked to 100% in case of "heat problems" however this does not seem to be the case.

GPU- Z isn't reading anything abnormal - that I can see anyway, looks all about the same as it always has.

Radeon HD 4890, 1 GB card. PCI 2.0 x16

If I have to replace the card... what should I go for? I don't see a lot in the Radeon HD series that will fit into that slot - most have moved onto 2.1+ So this means.... NVid? *faints* I haven't been on an Nvid card in like 8 years. I wouldn't know what to look for anymore!

Some research points at some GTX model (560 TI)

Not much is being pointed at the AMD side of things

Seems the old 2.0 slot got phased out pretty fast. Upgrading to a *newer* card would require not only the new card, but a new motherboard to slot it in, and a new CPU to fit the board. I have yet to find a board that supports new slot + my current CPU.

I don't have enough money for all that upgrade, I may barely have enough for a new card (provided XFX doesn't follow through on it's double lifetime warranty they offered when I purchased the card)

Any ideas fellas?

Maybe it's something fixable that I haven't thought of?

*sigh* I miss my games.

*EDIT*

Provided the drawback from 2.1 in a 2.0 slot isn't "unbearable" this may be an option:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150561
Least then I'd have another double lifetime warranty.

$180ish bucks isn't gonna go down easy though... Hopefully XFX will just send me another card. The rebate will help afterward though.

You realize 2.1 is backwards compatible eh, any pci-e card works and you see 0 issues.

I'm sure you realize this but theres a huge diference between the 4890 aand 6870.. the 48xx is replaced by the 69xx series.

Back
Top Bottom