No video signal...gpu maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfenwick

Fully Optimized
So have this socket A system for which i just got a new asrock mobo K7V88 for cheap, is a test system for older parts but now can't get a signal on my monitor after switching everything over. Can't really figure out what it is....

the vid card is an old ATI 128 rage pro that was working before, is there a compatibility issue between the two that I'm not catching?

I know the RAM (512 DDR400 kingston), CPU (athlon 900mhz) and HD are all good and were working in the old system and I was almost positive that the gpu was good as well but it was "new" and i think i only used it once to test a cpu.

On power up everything activates, all fans and lights come on but no beep signals so not sure what to do next, don't have another agp card readily available to test with. any opinions?

Your new video card's refresh rate is incompatible with your monitor. Follow these steps to fix it:

1. Restart the computer, and while it is restarting, press F8 until the Startup menu appears. Press 3, and then press ENTER to start the computer in Safe mode.
2. Right-click the desktop, click Properties, and then click Settings.
3. Click Advanced, click Adapter, and then click Adapter Default from the Refresh Rate list.
4. Click OK, click OK again, and then click Yes to restart the computer in Normal mode.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/286331

couple of problems with that suggestion:

A) the monitor never comes on, "no signal" keeps flashing, it's not registering anything, let alone booting up so I can change settings.

B) there is no OS installed on the HD

C) Almost positive this card worked with this monitor last week.

Essentially everything looks like it's working from the inside but the monitor never registers a signal. Have tried on two different monitors and 4 different vid cards. NO CHANGE.

Thinking at this point it has to be a motherboard issue....anything else anyone can think of I should check before returning the mobo?

This actually just happened to my mother's PC. Unlike yours though, the monitor was running Mobo graphics for years and then last week... Poof. No monitor output (VGA).

I tried using an AGP graphics card that I knew worked. Still no output on the monitor (used two different monitors just to be sure). The symptoms I am having is the same description of what you are describing. No boot beeps but everything seems to be running fine (fans/hardrives). The only thing I could think of is that the mobo/bios went bad (did try manually resetting it to no avail). I'm currently in the process of researching a new mobo, processor, and memory (it was all old anyways).

jfenwick,
So is this is the same system with only a new Mobo? If so, its obviously your new mobo (either bad or unsupported).

Probably a stupid question but...
Does the Mobo have a monitor output on it? Have you tried that?

I'm thinking I just need a new mobo for my problem.

This actually just happened to my mother's PC. Unlike yours though, the monitor was running Mobo graphics for years and then last week... Poof. No monitor output (VGA).

I tried using an AGP graphics card that I knew worked. Still no output on the monitor (used two different monitors just to be sure). The symptoms I am having is the same description of what you are describing. No boot beeps but everything seems to be running fine (fans/hardrives). The only thing I could think of is that the mobo/bios went bad (did try manually resetting it to no avail). I'm currently in the process of researching a new mobo, processor, and memory (it was all old anyways).

jfenwick,
So is this is the same system with only a new Mobo? If so, its obviously your new mobo (either bad or unsupported).

Probably a stupid question but...
Does the Mobo have a monitor output on it? Have you tried that?

I'm thinking I just need a new mobo for my problem.

Lol, yup, no onboard video, first thing i checked.

The mobo is the only new addition, but the video card was only used once I think before my old mobo went on me. That's what I'm not sure about, it was a crap PSU so maybe it fried more than just the mobo....ah well, contacted seller to get my money back, now have to find another on the ebay for just a few $$$.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom