No-Lemon Policy Build, Best Buy Parts Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

gibtuck

Solid State Member
Hi-

My old laptop has finally quit on me, for the fourth time, and is covered under Best Buy's No-Lemon Policy. As far as the guy at Geek Squad told me, I will be issued a gift card in the amount of a computer with comparable specs. Since my computer was purchased in 2007, the bare minimum specs on even netbooks are more than what mine shipped with from the factory. I based my calculations off their cheapest laptop I saw in stores, which was $300.

I'd like to build a tower that has room for expansion in the future, but can still play forthcoming and current games such as BC2, WoW:LK (and Cataclysm as well, much increased comp. requirements), Crysis, Fallout, Bioshock, etc. Light film viewing and editing will happen as well (I have a 32" HD monitor and the HDMI cable to utilize it).

I can contribute up to $300-400 in cash in addition to the $300 Best Buy card, totaling a max price of $600-700 for the build.

My question is how best to utilize the gift card I am going to get from BB. Looking on their site, their barebones kits don't really compare to ones on Newegg or Tiger. Should I buy components like the GFX card/PSU/??? in store, then purchase the Mobo/Processor online? I'm really stumped as to how use the card without getting gouged on non-online prices.

here's one setup

from bestbuy:
cpu
AMD - Athlon™ II X4 Quad-Core Processor 630 - Adx630wfgib
motherboard
Asus - AMD ATX Motherboard 1066/1333/1600/1800MHz (Socket AM3) - M4A77TD
hdd
Western Digital - 320GB Internal Hard Drive for Desktops - WD3200KSRTL

total for these parts is around $260 (not including taxes and whatnot)

and the rest of the build off newegg
ram
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBRL
case and optical drive
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!
psu and gfx card
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

these parts would total around $379 (w/ free shipping)

so in total this build should cost around $639.

but this is assuming that your budget is just for the tower. and if you need an OS too, it's gonna cost around another $100.

Thanks for the reply, I do need a new OS. Should I grab that in-store or online? Where should I make cuts in price to allow the extra $100 for win7?

Thanks for the replies muffin :)

My update: I got the refund at $312, bought my OS from BB with it immediately so I have ~200 left. Would I be better off springing the extra $60 for the first build you linked, or should I follow the second one? How different will the performance be between the two, or does anyone else have a different combination of purchases?

My main concern again is future upgrade-ibility; this thing doesn't have to (and won't) melt faces now, but as I work and save more and more I'd like to be able to throw better parts in it as time goes on.

yea if you can, i'd go with the first build. it includes a quad core with an am3 board and ddr3 ram, those are pretty much the main differences.

if you swap the quad with the dual core from the second build, it should drop the price down about $40.

I saw that BB also sells the Deneb Black edit. processor for ~$120 more, I know it oversteps the bounds I set for you, but would the difference between that and the processor Muffin linked in the first build be worth that much?

I may be able to salvage an internal HDD that could be used as a placeholder for a few months, I have a large external I will use for music/photos/etc, will just put the OS and games on the internal HD, so some of the cost could be soaked from that.

Black Edition Deneb Phenom

VS.

Quad Core Linked previously

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom