Newly Built Comp Won't Boot Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

tadpolefoder

Solid State Member
Hi, I recently built a computer (using the parts in my signature) using an old case I had lying around. However, when i tried to boot up (even without peripherals like cd-roms, hard drive, etc.), it doesn't work. Either I hear no beep at all, or just one long beep, pause, long beep, etc. I've read everywhere that that beep code typically indicates a problem with RAM, so I went out and bought 512 mb kingston value ram. But that still didn't solve the problem. All I've truly hooked up to the mobo is the processor (with fan), ram, and power supply. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

link to mobo:
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=K7MNF-64-BULK-N
- FIC K7MNF-64 nVidia nForce 2 Socket A

This might not be it, but this may be the problem especialyl for first time builders lol. This happened to me. Make sure you lift up the little bar on the side of the socket b4 you put the processor on and then heatsink. Lol when i first tried mine i forgot to lift up that bar and lock it in. I just left it there. So the processor was only being held down by the heatsink lol. Just make sure that you lift the little silver bar up and then put the processor, and then put the silver bar back down to lock.

no no.. this IS a memory beep.. i had this same problem... chances are you have the ram in the wrong bank or you got a defective psu.. i had the defective psu.. which in the long run fried 3 mobo's and about 7 sticks of ram.. so i wouldnt keep turning it on and off.. if you could, try another psu with it...

In answer to your question about the onboard video, I tried using my agp card, but when it didn't boot, I figured that it was just one more variable in the problem and went with the onboard video. For the PSU, I tried two different power supplies, one 350W and one 500W. Sorry for sorta playing devil's advocate over here. Thanks a lot for the replies.

Also one more strange update. When I hit the power switch on the front, the cpu fan seems to be spinning a bit slower than usual. But if I hold down the reset switch, the LED's on the cpu fan nearly double in brightness and the fan speeds up dramatically until I let the button go. Any ideas...? Thanks again in advance.

-Jut

- FIC K7MNF-64 nVidia nForce 2 Socket A

double check connections from case to board. sounds like you may have power and reset reversed??

also if all else fails pull mobo out of case set on the static bag from mobo(or non conductive surface) and try to boot it to rule out a short behind the board. hope it helps

ibbonkers said:
also if all else fails pull mobo out of case set on the static bag from mobo(or non conductive surface) and try to boot it to rule out a short behind the board. hope it helps
Bad idea. The anti-static bags that motherboards ship in are acually CONDUCTIVE. If you place the motherboard on an antistatic bag and turn on the power every pin and part on the back of the motherboard shorts to every other pin or part. This means that any 5-Volt component that is connected to a 12-Volt component via the conductive antistatic bag will be ruined. Do NOT place your motherboard on an anti-static bag and try to boot it up!

that is not true. You can use anti-static bags, but you are scared just use a piece of cardboard.

royalk4 said:
that is not true. You can use anti-static bags, but you are scared just use a piece of cardboard.
Hey man if you want to do it then go ahead but I wouldn't risk it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom