Newegg Selling Fake Intel CPUs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Newegg Selling Fake Intel CPUs?

Forum user "Nix" reported this morning he bought an Intel Core i7 model 920 from Newegg earlier this week. When he got his CPU opened, he found out that it seems everything in the box is "fake"...including the box. You can read up on his experience here. We reached out to Nix and gave him a phone call this morning and I would have to say that it does in fact seem that he got a totally "fake" CPU from Newegg. We are looking more into this as of now and will report what we find.

Incredible. Lots of effort involved so that cursory inspection fails to notice.
I'm betting this happened in-transit, with a bulk swap. Not Newegg's fault, and probably not the manufacturer's fault (probably made in China). Trying to track down where it happened will probably not be easy. Shipping containers are sealed, documented and tracked. When the container is opened, every pallet is given a tracking label.
Places like Newegg are more like clearing-houses. They don't actually warehouse the parts they sell. They broker the deal. So Newegg has probably hundreds of shippers. Someone has just trashed their reputation with Newegg.
FYI: I couldn't open the link. It required a logon. But I Googled it and found a slightly earlier episode, which Nix chimed-in on. Overclocker Dreadrok apparently posted his first, and there are guys posting about bulk shipments all being fakes.
Thanks for the heads-up, Osiris.

If you read the Hard OCP discussion all the way, and I looked around at several discussions the consensus is...
A packaging or shipping company in between pulled the switch.
Newegg received 300 of these mock up CPU's.
Newegg knows about the problem and has already pulled them from stock.
Let's hope whoever is responsible for this is found and this is made public.
I want to know who would do something like this.
Computer junkies around the world are going to go after them.

orihS ‪‪‪Shiro;1781895 said:
If you read the Hard OCP discussion all the way, and I looked around at several discussions the consensus is...
A packaging or shipping company in between pulled the switch.
Newegg received 300 of these mock up CPU's.
Newegg knows about the problem and has already pulled them from stock.
Let's hope whoever is responsible for this is found and this is made public.
I want to know who would do something like this.
Computer junkies around the world are going to go after them.
Hope they get all or at least most out.
Ultimately, it's newegg who gets screwed by this.

Ya, their rep is gonna go down a bit for this :(.

Newegg Selling Fake Intel CPUs

If you just put in an order for a new CPU from Newegg, you better watch out, reports of fake Intel Core i7-920 processors have just been confirmed by at least one of our forum members. Hit the link above for all the info and more pictures of the fake processor, heatsink and box.

Another source is telling us that 300 counterfeit processors were purchased by Newegg from D&H Distributing and that the fakes were delivered last week in a shipment totaling 2000 pieces. It was also communicated to me that Newegg has now "discovered" all 300 counterfeit processors.

UPDATE 03/05/2010 - 7:52PM CST:

DBA Public Relations has contacted us with the following statement.

"Newegg is aware of a shipping error that occurred with certain recent orders of the Intel Core i7-920 CPU. After investigating the issue internally it appears one of our long term partners mistakenly shipped a small number of demo boxes instead of functional units. Our customer service team has already begun proactively reaching out to the affected customers. In line with our commitment to ensure total customer satisfaction, we are doing everything in our power to resolve the issue as soon as possible and with the least amount of inconvenience to our customers."

Demo boxes with misspellings? Uh, OK. That does not sound like Intel.

Re: beware buying from newegg!!!

That's weird, I've boughten (and tons of others here) lots of things on Newegg. I've personally have never had an issue with them. Wonder how this will play out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom