Newbie Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

problematic

Baseband Member
Ok, so I have an ok comp, P4 3.2GHz, 200GB HDD etc...

I have a well old comp which I'm throwin out, but have an 8GB HDD in it, which I wouldn't mind stickin in my current comp, but dunno what to use it for.

I dont particularly want it for storage, cause u cant get much on 8 gigs, so just wonderin if anyone had any bright ideas what to do with it?!?!?

Cheers :D

If it has 8MB of cache and spins at 7200rpm, it would be good for your OS. It seems to help a bit when you have a separate HD for your OS, while all your programs and files are on other HDs.

is there any way I could use it as some sort of ram, or in anyway to make my current system run quicker/better???

The HDD is a few years old bt, probably bout 5 or 6 years by my reckoning.

i got 512 of ram.

I was purely looking to improve my current setup, can linux help me at all.

I know a lil bit bout comps, but am 100% green about linux...

Also, I want to install 64mb of ram into my comp, but dunno if its compatable, as again its about 5-6 yrs old. How can i find out if its compatable??

Thank you all for your help!!!!!

Use a program like CPU-Z which you can download for free to see what type of RAM your computer uses, then check that against what type of RAM that stick of 64MB RAM is (it probably says something like "PC100" or "PC133" on it; that's what you're looking for. Odds are, being the age it is, it won't work.)

Will Linux improve your setup? No. Your machine may run a little faster in Linux than in Windows, but I do not know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom