Newbie Computer Build - Need some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

kebp12

Beta member
Here is what I've got. I don't need anything blazing fast, just something for school that can handle 3D packages, like Inventor. Could you give me some advice, I *think* everything is compatable.

AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Callisto 3.1GHz Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Processor Model HDZ550WFGIBOX - Retail

ASUS M2A74-AM 740G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard (onboard video)

G. Skill 4 GB (2x2) 240-pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

CORSAIR CMPSU-550VW 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI

LITE-ON 24x CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model Ihas324-08

Scythe SCKTN-3000 92mm Sleeve “KATANA3” 3Heat Pipes CPU Cooler

Coolor Master Elite RC-301-BWN1-GP

well, what is your budget?

the 550 is a good cpu, but you should probably go with atleast a 780g board if your gonna use onboard video.

and unless your gonna be OCing, the stock cpu cooler will work fine.

Budget is not set... Whatever the cost is to make a solid, but reasonable machine. Those components total around 430. I will be using linux until this fall when I return to school and can pick up xp or vista - will probably set it to dual boot linux and windows

well, you could build many different solid builds depending on how much you want to spend. also, are you gonna use linux because you don't have another OS or just because of prefrence?

you could use the windows 7 rc, which is free to use until march of next year, then pickup the full version this october. it is much better than both xp and vista, and many people on these forums use it daily with no problems, including me.

Windows 7 Release Candidate

if the budget is not set, then you could with an i7 build that would go for around $900. maybe you could offer a price range.

I was going to use linux because I don't have a copy of another OS right now and I thought it would be fun to learn, but I will check out Windows 7. I woud like to keep the cost at/under $600.

Any other feedback?

this is what i came up for you.

total is $497 + shipping (- $10 from a rebate)

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

i got you a quad-core cpu with a 790gx mobo. it has probably the best onboard video your gonna get right now.

this still leaves around $100 from your budget, so you could get a good gfx card if you also wanted to game a bit on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom