Newb Looking to improve PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lupo11

Solid State Member
Hey I am looking to improve the performance of my PC, but I know little about computers. I want to get into gaming so I want to get a better video card. I also want to put more RAM into my computer. What do you all suggest.

I am on Windows XP media center
AMD Athlon 64 processor
ATI Radeon xpress 200 series
2.19GHz, 896 of RAM

Joe

Hey Lupo11
Welcome-to-TF.png

You definitely need more RAM, and a better graphic card. But the information that you're telling us now, is very vague.

What is your budget?

I assume this is a pre-built or retail computer? If so, can you please tell us the model and brand of this PC?

What games are you looking to play?

Hey Lupo11
Welcome-to-TF.png

You definitely need more RAM, and a better graphic card. But the information that you're telling us now, is very vague.

What is your budget?

I assume this is a pre-built or retail computer? If so, can you please tell us the model and brand of this PC?

What games are you looking to play?

It was prebuilt. My budget is not really important, im going for the best bang for my buck sort of speak best performance to price ratio.

Its an Emachines T6524.

I am looking to play COD4

Have you considered selling that PC, starting out fresh to get up to date?

Also, have a look at my Recommended PC Components thread in my sig...to give you an idea on what to look for.

...And then post back here on some choices you have in mind.

But if you just want to upgrade, I'll suggest:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Desktop Memory - Retail
Newegg.com - FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX400-PN ATX12V 400W Power Supply 120/220 - 240v NEMKO, TUV, CSA, IEC, UL, CE - Retail
Newegg.com - HIS Hightech H385F256NP Radeon HD 3850 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

I wouldn't say ancient, but if you're looking to play some of the latest and future games, I would recommend selling that PC, and build a new one.

For day to day use, your computer is more then satisfactory. Although, gaming takes high performance equipment... which I'll be the first to admit really sucks for a checkbook. It may be in your best interest to sell the emachines and start fresh, IF you can afford it that is.

I dont got much for a bankroll. Im just trying to make due with what I have. But are you sure that those parts will work?

Yes, all of the parts he listed will work. However, in my opinion you shouldn't need to upgrade your PSU.

I'm sure they're compatible. I'm just worried about the dimensions of the case. It looks like they might fit.

I suggested the PSU to be safe. But that depends on his current PSU. Hey Lupo, see if you can open the side panel(turn off your computer first), and read the label of the power supply. Look for the wattage and +12v rail reading(s), and post back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom