newb Crashing N Burning

Status
Not open for further replies.

dudePR

Beta member
Hello fellow members,

1st -- thanks for all the help in advanced.
I plan on staying around these forums for a long time.
They have been bookmarked :)

2nd -- I need help...

Ok, here's the quick review of my situation:::
About 6 months ago (maybe more?) I bought a Tyan i860 motherboard.

It's dual Xeon capable.
I bought an Extended ATX case this weekend, as I had all the parts for the computer lying around and I hadn't done nothing with it. So I figured, buy a case = new computer.

Wrong. :(

1st stupidity on my part::::
The freaking 3.0GHz Xeon I had bought isn't even the right one!
I think it's 604 pins... and my moBo is 603 pins.
Lord... :(

Second stupidity::::
The 2GBs of RAM I bought, are not the right ones.
Sheeshh....

3rd::::
The moBo doesn't have on-board video.
So I need to buy a video card.
Max I've got is 4x AGP.

So, I'm wondering::::
1. Which freaking RAM do I need to buy?
2. What do you think about two Xeon 3.0GHz procs?
3. Any suggestions on video cards?

The desired machine is simply... a kick-butt machine that I want to build. I'm not that into gaming... just, AutoCAD once in a while... no video editing... no music editing...

Just browsing, and usually having various intensive applications open at the same time.

I'd like to have 4GBs of RAM... but I'm unwilling to pay 4GBs worth of Rambus memory... can't I use another type?

I realize this situation is very wierd... and probably in need of a MAJOR overhaul... new moBo?

Ughhh... nothing.
Just asking for help.
I feel really frustrated.
I consider my computer skills "respectable". I'm no pro, but I've built computers for my self and my friends in the past.

What happened here?
I have no idea.
Don't do drugs kids.
You'll buy the wrong memory.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to read this. And millions of thanks in advanced to everyone that helps out... have a great day guys (and girls!) :)

Best wishes to all of you,

-AJ

Hmmmm. You wont be able to use that Motherboard... Get one that supports 2 of that particular pins and supports that ram... I have looked everywhere on newegg and i cant even find a Motherboard that supports 2 Xeon's... Sorry Dude but you should of thought before you went out and bought all of this hardware... You wasted your money sorry to say :(

gmanych,

Thanks for the reply.
Your answer... fatal blow.

Live and learn.
I'll burry the mobo in my backyard... so some FallOut Wanderer in 2000 years stumbles upon it and purifies some water for his cave-dwelling friends and family. Run on...........

Thanks man.
I'm not sure what I'll do... but I think I'm going to start with a new mobo... maybe a dual core proc. Video card. Something... esMilp. simple

I'm going to go do some research, and I'll get back to this thread soon. Thanks for the reality check. :)

Research on... the female subject... commencing... pronto.

-=Over and out=-
-AJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom