New Video card on a sony?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lastshot

In Runtime
Ok so heres the scoop. My friend wants to get a new video card on his sony vaio. It's a 2000 with 512 ram and p4 proc. He doesn't want to have to get a new power supply( 300 or 350, not sure), but wants a cheap video card that would support sounterstrike source. He is using onboard video currently and it doesn't even play movies well. What would you recommend? thx

well, first of all, a new power supply would be recommended before even touching a video card.

I'm not the guy to talk about with video cards. Another member should pop-up soon to assist you with that.

he should go with a geforce 6800
maybe a little lower but with the 6800 he well be set for most games

Depends on what slots he have...

Could be a dell, takes off their AGP/PCIe16 slots and PCI slots only

Could be AGP or could be PCIE16 lol

So give us the model number of the Sony and we can figure it out more. Or you can tell us by looking inside of the computer case and looking for which one.

what do you mean by "its a 2000"? is that a model number or mhz or.. ?

and ya.. it all depends on which slots are available. if the powersupply is 350 watts you can stick a 6600gt or similar w/o having to switch out the powersupply...

we can help you after you come up with slot type, PSU wattage and amperage on 12V rail, and budget.

Ok, srry it took soo long to respond, but I've been studying and taking my finals.... ok, The 2000 stands for the year the computer was made. It does have a PCI-E slot, and I am going to have to find the PSU rating. I would think it would be anywhere from 300-350 but i know that doesn't help.

pci-express slot on a computer made in the year 2000?!?!

highly doubtful.

afaik pci-express didn't exist in the year 2000.

your comp either doesn't have a pci-express slot, or it does - but its definitely more recent than the year 2000.

300-350 will get you a very nice card... just clear up the details on your comp...

run one of those programs that tell you what your comp is and all the details etc... forget what programs do that..

everest at www.lavalys.com will give u an INCREDIBLY in-depth report on ur comp, like 90% of it i couldnt understand, but if u do the "hardware" choice it gives you like every stat possible on your hardware.

get the Everest Ultimate 2006 edition, the trial version. it works fine :D

hope i helped,
Phate

ok, now i'm actually going over to my friends house to find out what he's got. Soo far everything he's told me has been wrong about his comp... He does know his colorxs though, " It's a black slot...."
Phate- i'll get him to go to that site, thanks for the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom