new video card (nvidia 6600)

Status
Not open for further replies.

malushi88

Baseband Member
i wanted to get a jumpstart to my pc gaming routine and i was going to buy a new graphics card but the one i want comes in 128 and 256 mb versions. i can get the 128, but id have to save a little more for the 256. when do i really need the extra memory? or will 128 cut it for mid/high end gaming? the card is the ASUS N6600/TD and costs $120/$150 for the 128mb/256mb respectively. the prices are from newegg.

lol i have the same exact videocard

hey i just got the asus geforce 6600 for christnas lol. I have the 128mb version though. Just get the 128mb if it is cheaper. If the videocard runs out of memory it just uses the system memory so you will be good if you have a 1 gig. I have a 512mb stick but i am planning on getting an other 512 stick later. For 30 dollars more it isn't worth it for the extra memory. Just go with the 128mb. I have the 128mb one and it works just as good there isn't much difference in performance. If you got questions about the videocard just me. Hope this helps.

P.S. I am pretty sure about the vid card using system memory but someone can double check me on that. I swore i read it somewhere.

Thanks

Thanks BiGyLiLuPdAmIdL, i think i will go ahead and get the 128mb. anyway, i heard the 128mb version of the asus n6600 outperforms all the 256mb cards also using the 6600 gpu. thats asus for ya.

but when does it become necessary to go 256mb if 128 performs just as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom