New video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefdawg

Baseband Member
Hi everyone, I am looking to upgrade my video card to a better one. I have read many arguments about Nvidia and Ati, and I came here to decide which one to get. My spending limit is 300 dollars and here are some other limitations:
I have a Dell Xps 410 (Yeah Yeah I know Dell Sucks), with a 375 power supply, which I'm not willing to upgrade anytime soon.

Ok now that that's done here are my specs:
7900GS(I'm gunna miss you kinda not really)
2 gigs of Ram
Core 2 Duo e6600(2 processors each 2.4ghz)
So can someone suggest a really good card that will run oblivion well, and will work well when fallout 3 comes out?

THNX

Hi everyone, I am looking to upgrade my video card to a better one. I have read many arguments about Nvidia and Ati, and I came here to decide which one to get. My spending limit is 300 dollars and here are some other limitations:
I have a Dell Xps 410 (Yeah Yeah I know Dell Sucks), with a 375 power supply, which I'm not willing to upgrade anytime soon.

Ok now that that's done here are my specs:
7900GS(I'm gunna miss you kinda not really)
2 gigs of Ram
Core 2 Duo e6600(2 processors each 2.4ghz)
So can someone suggest a really good card that will run oblivion well, and will work well when fallout 3 comes out?

THNX
First off, thanks for iterating that Dell sucks, and I will reiterate that myself....DELL SUCKS!!!
Although their high-end XPS series sure look nice, but very pricey.
Personally, I would recommend the brand new Ati Radeon 4850. I have seen it for as low as $220 AUS and based on early tests it is perfoming uber well and is super bang for your buck. Kind of like the 8800GT's favourability amongst the mainstream gaming segment as the perfect card for price/performance. The 9800GT I have seen for as low as $160 AUS and is basically a rebadged 8800GT with a few minor improvements, nothing revolutionary. Be sure to verify that your PSU can handle the new card you are going to choose. This is something that has not so much inhibited, but limited my choice of GPU upgrade, as I am also in your shoes i.e. looking for a new graphics card. Both the 9800GT and 4850 require a minimum of 450W PSU and +12V of atleast 26 amps. My PSU is only 400W at 18 amps on the 12V rail. Otherwise you will have to either replace your PSU or choose a lower card. If you need to replace a PSU I would not recommend a generic as they are much inferior to the reputable brands and their stated wattage is usually no where near what it should be in real terms. A new graphics card can become costly when you need to factor in the purchase of a PSU replacement.

Definantly go with the 4670. Its technically a main stream card so it isnt too PSU demanding. It says it requires a 400W PSU but since you have a 375 its most likely fine because Dell are known for under spec'ing theyre PSU's....

So right now, the 4670 is definitely the card for you. Its also faster than a 3850 if you just wanted to know where it sits performance wise.

Right now you can grab one for $79:
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100255L Radeon HD 4670 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Hope i helped.

Thanks for the help guys, but is the 4670 a lot better than my 7900gs? and if it is..why is it so cheap?

its better than a 7900GS, but the HD 4670 and 9600GSO are exactly the same in performance.. just get what is cheaper, but HD 4670's can work with crappier PSU's since it doesn't need a 6pin or 8pin Connector

What the heck. I swear to god someone on here told me the 4670 was better.. sorry maroon for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom