New system, some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alphacooler

Baseband Member
I want to put together a new system and am looking for help on which cpu/mobo/ram combo I should pick up.

I was looking to spend $400 on mobo/cpu/ram.

Here is what I will be doing:
1. NO GAMING. (keep this in mind)
2. Lot's of simultaneous applications (illustrator, photoshop, dreamweaver, ftp, 12-15 firefox tabs, while watching TV on my TV card).

I saw that the AMD 64 X2 4200+ can be had for $179 in the next week or so due to intel's new core 2 duo release. This seams pretty darn cheap to me. I've heard the core 2 duo is amazing, but I would imagine that the initial prices would put it out of my range in the near future.

So if I were to go with an AMD 64 X2 which:
1)processor & socket
2)mobo
3)type of ram

should I get?

For Motherboard go either DFI or Asus, and for memory go either Corsair or OCZ. get the mobo first and see what you have left to work with, Corsair and OCZ might be over your budget. if so, go with Kingston or G-skill. Make sure you have dual core proc it will help with multiple applications.

If I were you I'd first pick a type of processor (you'll want a dual core CPU like the Athlon X2 or Pentium D) and find a compatible motherboard built by Asus, MSI, or DFI(if you're feeling adventurous). Try to stick with socket 939, AM2, or 775. Then pick the specific processor. Finnally, with the money you have left, find your RAM. I'd suggest 1 GB dual channel RAM (2 x 512 MB) from Corsair, Patriot, or OCZ.

If you're going to be doing a lot of multi-tasking, dual-core and about 2GB of RAM should be good for you. Pick out some parts that you want, and we'll pick and choose if they're good or if there are better to be had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom