New System for a Friend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackmoore

Daemon Poster
I have a friend (virtually has no experience in computer hardware whatsoever) who is wanting a decent PC, to be used for light gaming, and to host a game server for an older game he plays. (Ultima Online, if any of you have ever played it) His brother is bound and determined to find him an top of the line 3Ghz+ system for around $300. He understands computers, and whats fast, but I really don't think he understands hardware. All he sees are the numbers, so if the box says a 3.2Ghz Pentium 4 he automatically thinks wow, 3.2Ghz, thats fast. If you know what I mean. The box could say TOP OF THE LINE 256MB GRAPHICS CARD, GREAT FOR GAMING!, and he'd go and buy the system not knowing what he was getting. He doesn't understand that just because the numbers are high, that it means its a great system.

Anyways, the friend is looking at a budget of around $600, he has the monitor and the keyboard, speakers, ect. Were just looking for a new tower. Now if it were up to me, I would deinately go AMD, but again his brother thinks Pentium might be a good way to go, just because he grew up with it, and like me years ago thought it was the only way to go. (A lot of us were probably like that :) )

So I priced out a AMD System, listed below, tell me what you think, and what you would change?

Also can you give me some recommendations on a Pentium Motherboard, and CPU, that would fit into my budget of $600? I have spent so many years only dealing with AMD that I haven't had a reason to keep up with the Intel side. So im not up on whats good and whats not, not to mention socket size, and compatability issues.

AMD System:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Socket 939 Venice Core $146

MSI K8N Neo4-F Socket 939 PCI-E $86

1GB (2x512) Corsair ValueSelect PC3200 DDR $42 each = $84

eVGA 6600GT PCI-E $153

WD 160GB SATA HD $85.50

APEX PC-336 Mid-Tower ATX Case $28.99

(I have a spare PSU, and CD-Burner, I will use with the system)

Grand Total: $611.83 (Shipping Included)

Thanks in advance for the help

didnt we already go over this.. and it looks good

*your sig is too big by one line.*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom