New sound system - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 01:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default New sound system

I'm looking to get a new sound system for listening to music really loud and watching videos. The quality of the music is the absolute most important thing and I would like to maintain the quality at loud volumes. I'm looking to spend short of $200 on the system, but am willing to go a little over. So I had some questions and hardware I was looking at. Any help is greatly appreciated.

#1. What is the advantage of having 5 speakers vs. 2 speakers? Does it have any effect on quality of sound output, specifically in music?
#2. What should I look for in a speaker system (I've been looking at watts and decibles)?
#3. What should I look for in a sound card?

The sound cards I was looking at both seem to support the speakers I was looking at, is there any reason I should get the more expensive one?
Infonec Computers - Computer parts Canada, PC Components, laptop computers, motherboards, processors, CPUís and much more : CREATIVE SB X-FI XTREME MUSIC
Infonec Computers - Computer parts Canada, PC Components, laptop computers, motherboards, processors, CPUís and much more : Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio Sound Card

And here are the speakers:
Infonec Computers - Computer parts Canada, PC Components, laptop computers, motherboards, processors, CPUís and much more : Altec Lansing VS3251 - PC multimedia home theater speaker system - 70 Watt (total)
Infonec Computers - Computer parts Canada, PC Components, laptop computers, motherboards, processors, CPUís and much more : Logitech <font color=red>Z 2300</font> - PC multimedia speaker system - 200 Watt RMS
Infonec Computers - Computer parts Canada, PC Components, laptop computers, motherboards, processors, CPUís and much more : CREATIVE 5.1 4X8W+18W+26W SUB INSPIRE T6100 - BLACK (RETAIL)
Infonec Computers - Computer parts Canada, PC Components, laptop computers, motherboards, processors, CPUís and much more : Logitech <font color=red> Z 5300e </font> - PC multimedia home theater 280 Watt

Thanks.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Default Re: New sound system

Infonec Computers - Computer parts Canada, PC Components, laptop computers, motherboards, processors, CPU’s and much more : Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio Sound Card

that sound card will preform well with any of those speakers you suggested

but these speakers I think will be the best

Infonec Computers - Computer parts Canada, PC Components, laptop computers, motherboards, processors, CPUís and much more : Logitech <font color=red> Z 5300e </font> - PC multimedia home theater 280 Watt

500GB WD 5000AAKX-001CA0
1.5 TB Seagate ST1500DM003
Zotac Geforce GTX 950 2GB GDDR5
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Old 08-29-2007, 04:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thank you for you input, but what about my questions? Is there any reason I need a home theatre vs. 2 speakers for sound quality? And do I need to look at anything more than if my sound card supports my speakers?
Old 08-29-2007, 05:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

The only reason you should get 5 channel computer speakers is if you plan to watch DVDs on your computer, or if you are going hard core FPS gaming and such. Typically, a factory set of 2 speakers and 1 subwoofer compared to 5 speakers and 1 subwoofer will be much more powerful.
So if you aren't gaming, or don't need your movies in surround sound, stick with 2 speakers.

If you are just using a DVD player, go with a powerful set of 2 stereo speakers, with a nice subwoofer.

It depends on what you need your sound card to be able to do. If music and games is the most you will do, any of the lower range Sound Blaster X-FI cards will do, although you can survive with an Audigy or less, since they can all decode Dolby Digital, I think.

Logitech makes quite cheap computer speakers, but you get what you pay for. Shop around, go to stores and try their demos.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Well I don't intend to ever use them for gaming. Just music and DVDs, but more music. However I'm looking for perfect quality with my music (below the 1% for extra 10% cash mark). So would a 2 speaker and 1 subwoofer system give me top quality audio for music at extremely high volumes (like you can hear it throughout the entire house and out in the street type volume)?

Also what do wattage and decibles tell me about speakers?

Thanks for the help so far.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Techie

dicibles tell how loud the speakers can go
wattage is how many watts of power are used by the speakers

also the sound card I suggested can divide up the sound to all to give you surround sound in music so i'd say go with the home theatre speakers
500GB WD 5000AAKX-001CA0
1.5 TB Seagate ST1500DM003
Zotac Geforce GTX 950 2GB GDDR5
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Old 09-01-2007, 01:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Is surround sound the only experience I would gain from having more than 2 speakers? Like it wouldn't improve quality or unlock (per se) sounds that I couldn't get from 2 speakers? Because I'd really like a high decible system; but I'm not sure how many I need. Can anyone give me a good indication of how loud 80 decibles is? Or where I could find out?

Thanks.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Content Team

if you want really good sound quality at high volumes then dont buy pc speakers, get a good high quality sterio (sp?) and then by a cable to conect to the pcs sound card this will give you way better sound quality/ volume, for what you want i dont think youd need surround.
surround deosnt unlock any extra sounds
this help; http://www.siemens-hearing.co.uk/uk/...mages/pic1.jpg
Old 09-01-2007, 05:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Not A Super Techie

The dBs listed are for sensitivity not how loud they can get.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Techie

Thumbs up Re: New sound system

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Roberto View Post
if you want really good sound quality at high volumes then dont buy pc speakers, get a good high quality sterio (sp?) and then by a cable to conect to the pcs sound card this will give you way better sound quality/ volume, for what you want i dont think youd need surround.
surround deosnt unlock any extra sounds
this help; http://www.siemens-hearing.co.uk/uk/...mages/pic1.jpg
Listen to el roberto.

I have my computer hooked up to my jvc 5.1 stereo receiver/surround sound speakers and 12" sub....the sound is amazing whether it's music or watching a movie.

Ultra PS, Ultra Mid Tower Case
Lite-on internal DVD-R, Samsung Lite-Scribe Ext. DVD-R
2 Acer 19" widescreen LCD's. For HTPC Olevia 32" LCD
Closed Thread