New RAM Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ownaholic

Baseband Member
Hey all;

I was talking with Slaymate in another topic about different kinds of RAM to consider purchasing; but I never asked why exactly the RAM was better than the ones I already had.

Here is my current RAM:
Newegg.com - Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3X1K2/8GX

Here's the RAM I'm considering purchasing:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B

These are the recommendations Slaymate gave me:

If you go with a Corsair Water kit then you can go with the Corsair Vengeance memory that everyone wants or G.Skill is also good memory. If you stick with a air cooler then I would stick with G.Skill. For most people the Good is really all thats needed.

Good

Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

Newegg.com - CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9R

Better

Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM

Newegg.com - CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8R

Best

Newegg.com - CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C7R

The only difference between the best RAM and the one I'm considering, is the timing. But I don't fully understand the concept of timing and how dramatically it is going to affect (or not affect) the performance of the RAM itself.
I know how to access the timing in my UEFI (bios); is it overclockable, or should I let it be if I purchase the ones I'm currently pondering?

But back to the point: What are the main differences between all of them, how are those differences going to affect performance, and how drastically?

On a side-note, what exactly are the real benefits of having 16GB of RAM? I've always figured that 8 was plenty, but I'm sure there has to be some benefit. The only thing I can think of, is that I would be able to use that extra RAM as a RAMDISK, to help my video rendering go even faster.

Thanks so much!

CAS Latency is just the spacing of intervals your RAM sends information to your CPU, lower is better, but typically the performance difference is not noticable, since all standard RAM now has very low latency. I don't overclock RAM so I can't comment on how it can be done.

Unless you do some serious animation or photoshop work, and I mean a lot of it, 16 GB of RAM will be a total waste. 4GB is enough for gaming, but typically gamers will get 8GB just to be safe since its not much more expensive than 4GB. Slaymate has also mentioned before that filling all four motherboard RAM slots will stress the CPU's memory controller more.

CAS Latency is just the spacing of intervals your RAM sends information to your CPU, lower is better, but typically the performance difference is not noticable, since all standard RAM now has very low latency. I don't overclock RAM so I can't comment on how it can be done.

Unless you do some serious animation or photoshop work, and I mean a lot of it, 16 GB of RAM will be a total waste. 4GB is enough for gaming, but typically gamers will get 8GB just to be safe since its not much more expensive than 4GB. Slaymate has also mentioned before that filling all four motherboard RAM slots will stress the CPU's memory controller more.

Whelp, I do quite lengthy video editing (1080P HD; usually 10-20 minute videos on average, with many videos being done in succession) on a semi-regular basis. Do you think it would help with that at all?

What you can do is monitor your RAM usage while doing your day-to-day things (such as your video editing). If it looks like your computer is starting to come close to 8GB, then upgrading could be beneficial, however let's say you're not even topping 6GB, then obviously 16GB would not improve your work performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom