new PSU opinions wanted - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2014, 11:44 AM   #21 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: new PSU opinions wanted

Back in those days it was double lifetime. Idk man, I'm one of those people who thinks a long warranty is seriously overrated except for on a PSU or motherboard.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:22 PM   #22 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Back in those days it was double lifetime. Idk man, I'm one of those people who thinks a long warranty is seriously overrated except for on a PSU or motherboard.
Depends on how often you upgrade, honestly.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:24 PM   #23 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
Depends on how often you upgrade, honestly.
I don't really upgrade that often. I had my 580 until just recently which is well outside its warranty period. I plan on keeping my board and CPU for quite a while as well. This 680 will probably last me at least 2 years. I will actually upgrade my SSD before its warranty period although I don't see it dying any time soon. My PSU is outside its warranty and I expect it to keep trucking for years too.

Now that I've said that, watch it all die like next week.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:31 PM   #24 (permalink)
Private Joker

I would still have my GTX 285 if I didn't send it in to XFX (while I was troubleshooting my booting issues that turned out to my sound card I mentioned in another thread); but it was replaced with a 5850, which I still have .

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:41 PM   #25 (permalink)
Build Guru

Yea that old XFX double lifetime was awesome until I had to send in one of my 7950GTs (that was bios and hard volt modded). They sent me back an 8800gs. Mad was I ****ed.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:16 PM   #26 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Decided to wait for now- Just really want a card that will overclock better and have a proven cooling system. I don't think I could have gone wrong - but again I am not in any hurry. Received the new PSU yesterday and will put that in this weekend.
acerinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:05 PM   #27 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerinpa View Post
Decided to wait for now- Just really want a card that will overclock better and have a proven cooling system. I don't think I could have gone wrong - but again I am not in any hurry. Received the new PSU yesterday and will put that in this weekend.
Honestly, you can get any card you want and put a better cooler on it. Get yourself the Kraken G10 and an H90, or H105 and be golden.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:27 PM   #28 (permalink)

cool, a company finally mass produced a gpu bracket.

patonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:35 PM   #29 (permalink)
Monster Techie

OK - looks like it is time to learn some more- I had no idea you could change out a cooler in a GPU.... If you do that I bet it negates the warranty. Hmmmmm ... Another new twist to a the decision.

Edit: found this= http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphic...-Radeon-R9-290

According to the Video VRM temps increased to 100C+ , but the GPU temps were great and stayed under 55C.
acerinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:59 PM   #30 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by patonb View Post
cool, a company finally mass produced a gpu bracket.
Yup. It's pretty awesome, but can only utilize circle style blocks making my H100 pretty useless for the GPU. You can also buy hand made ones off Ebay from the UK. They are solid pieces of pretty legit looking steel, which has support for square style blocks like the H100, ect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerinpa View Post
OK - looks like it is time to learn some more- I had no idea you could change out a cooler in a GPU.... If you do that I bet it negates the warranty. Hmmmmm ... Another new twist to a the decision.

Edit: found this= Using the NZXT Kraken G10 to Watercool a Radeon R9 290 | PC Perspective

According to the Video VRM temps increased to 100C+ , but the GPU temps were great and stayed under 55C.
It only messes with your warranty if you buy a company that places stickers on the screws in the back of the card. Remove the heatsink for ANY reason (that includes routine re-paste and cleaning) and the warranty is gone. XFX is actually a company that does this including Asus. That HIS looking better now?

As to VRM heat, well duh. They didn't add heatsinks which are pretty much a necessity for VRMs. They even mentioned the addition of generic heatsinks which I 100% advise on the purchase of when going this route. The extra 5 bucks is nothing to snub your nose at considering the temp advantage.

Access to my Plex PM me.