new PSU opinions wanted

acerinpa

Fully Optimized
We need a new PSU for a GPU upgrade, occurring then the R9 280x videocards come back down to earth in price. The PC currently has an Aptiva ( or something like that) that is a 500 watt unit. I Linked a PSU that is on sale which should work well. I do not expect to use more than one GPU so this may be slight overkill, but for $80 after rebate, I don't think you can beat it.

Newegg.com - SeaSonic G-750 SSR-750RM 750W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

What do you think??

I agree and have forbid them to purchase a 280x GPU until it comes back down to $300. Fools won't even think about a Nvidia card - they have become AMD fanboys.......

Thanks for the input .....

Have been looking for a good PSU like this to go on sale and I think I will pull the trigger... with free shipping as well.

You can get a 280x on Newegg for about 319 or 311 whatever it was. Problem is the chip is literally a 7970 and MSRP'd at 299. They should be more like 275 now. The 770s are just as bad simply because the 280x never left 300.

I agree- the problem is that there are no real options at that $300 range. What do you mean by the 770 is just as bad- do you mean overpriced?

And So.... WE wait.... found some used 7970's on e-bay for under $300 - but thinking about waiting until the 280x comes down to $300 and get the lifetime warranty with the XFX DD model or a good warranty with the MSI or Gigabyte models.

The problem with the higher end AMD cards is the miners. Unless you can convince them otherwise they will be waiting until the hash is hashed. Ha.

You can find some 680s for real cheap used.

Back
Top Bottom