New Processor for Presario Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

everythingsucks08

Beta member
I just bought a new Presario SR5010NX, and I want to upgrade it a bit. I've already boosted the memory up to 1.5GB, but now the biggest problem is the processor. Its a Celeron D 360 at 3.46 GHz, and its good enough for basic use, but I wanted to throw in a new dual core processor just to speed everything up. Will it be difficult, if not impossible, to install it myself?

And also, what's a good affordable processor? My budget is around $200 right now.

I guess the real question is what is your goal? Are you upgrading for a particular reason? If you're doing video editing, a new processor would help. If you're a gamer and still using the on-board graphics, a new graphics card would be a much better route to go.

Your motherboard, from what I can tell online, is a fairly straightforward LGA775 socket. It also claims to be Core 2 duo ready, so any number of core 2 duos should work in there. I would download any new BIOS being offered by HP/Compaq before doing so. While any of these should work, the E6400 is the fastest one that come in at under $200.

Upgrading the CPU isn't really that difficult. You would remove the connection to the fan on the heat sink and loosen the four screw posts that hold the heatsink on. The CPU socket itself is simple to unlock so that the CPU can be removed. All these instructions come with a boxed (retail) processor.

If you are any sort of gamer, however, putting in a new graphics card should be #1 on the upgrade list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom