New Power Supply and RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

go_sharks86

Baseband Member
So I have noticed that I have been getting rather poor fps (30-40) on CSS and have started to believe that the problem may be my power supply.

My PC Specs:
- 350watt psu
- p4 3.0ghz processor
- 256mb 7600gt
- 1 gig of RAM

So my questions is, could my power supply actually be the problem and if so, what power supply would you guys recommend so that I can play CSS at high settings with no problems and at a smooth fps?

My case:
Newegg.com - APEVIA X-Dreamer ATXB3KLW-BK/420W Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ATX 420W power supply for AMD/Intel Power Supply - Retail

I also want to upgrade from 1 gig of RAM to 2 gigs. Any suggestions are welcome as far as brands go.

My RAM specs (from cpu-z)
Type: DDR
CAS Latency: 3
Max Bandwidth: PC3200 (200 MHz)
Manufacturer: Corsair
Model:CMX512-3200C2

it could indeed be your cpu, but it could be something else. theres a lot of brands of em out there, im using an echo star 600 watt, seems to run my stuff really well. Newegg has some good stuff to, im goin to say you cant fail with patriot or corsair ram. OCZ has good stuff to but their a lil to proud of their product if you ask me, most of the ones ive seen are way overpriced. but yeah check newegg they always have good deals.

hrmm... you use old ddr1, you should probably stick to corsair, look for a matching set, maybe you can run dual channel.. not too sure, depends on your motherboard

but ya, if you don't care about oc'ing or nothing, patriot and corsair are pretty much the way to go... otherwise you could look into some G.Skill ddr500 if it still exists

what resolution do you play counterstrike at? a 7600gt is about as good as a 6800gs.. so depending on your resolution.. and depending if its an HDR map or not.. that may be your determining factor

Which PSU are you using? A quality PSU should run fine. You'll get the most performance by upgrading your video card.

- Yes, my RAM is dual channel.
- The resolution I play on is 1440x900 (widescreen monitor).
- I do think a reformat could be a good idea, but I want to get a new psu anyway and feel I should see if that is the problem before I reformat.
- I don't know the brand of the PSU, I believe it came with the case, so it can't be that great of a PSU, all I know is that it has a max output of 350W and has one +12V rail, not sure of the Amps though. I already upgraded my video card from a 6600 to a 7600gt.

fsp is an excellent brand... so is pc power and cooling and silverstone... corsair also makes some nice psu's the corsair 520 is a highly recommend psu on these forums

if you want some cheap stuff.. nothing fancy.. you should look into maybe an antec true power 2 550watt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom