New PC = Getting Shocked!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masoner

Solid State Member
So after three days of having my new HP Pavilion Elite, I reached around to plug a USB cable and received a slight shock on the skin at my wrist. Further investigation I found that all the screws on the back of the PC (around the back panel) are this way. If you put your Finger on them you can feel a slight charge. If you put more sensitive skin (for example the underside of your wrist) you get a slight sting.

My Desktop is connected to a Surge/Back Up Battery BUT that unit is plugged into a wall which has no 3rd (ground) hole. I use an adapter.

Now my question is this. Would THAT cause some sort of back feed? or is there just some sort of short in my Desktop and I need to get it exchanged?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Well after I posted this I continued my investigation. The outlet that I was using (like I mentioned) did not have a Ground port/hole. So I turned the PC off and the feed increased (another words it was twice/three times more powerful) so I got a short extension cable and ran it from my hall way to my PC. This one had a third Ground plug (though we can only assume it in fact has the required wire) I connect it to my Surge/Battery supply. I could not find any shock/sting/energy on any of the back parts where I felt it before. So I connected it back to the original wall and right away I felt the electricity in those areas.

So now I'm on a different outlet all together. I'm VERY glad I found it this morning. If I had decided to connect my USB cable (to charge my cell phone) to a front port, I would have not found this.

Thanks for responding guys.. ;)

On a more general note you should never ever use any appliance, let alone a computer (full of expensive, delicate parts), without proper grounding. Ever. .com. Any short in the appliance could have severe consequences.

Get that plug changed!

Pretty much if it has a grounding plug, you should be using a grounded socket. It's there for a reason.

Masoner seriously bro. One wrong move and zaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap.

Electric%20Shock.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom