New motherboard, ram, cpu and dvd drive. WILL IT READ FROM NEW SATA DVD DRIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.

evan833

Baseband Member
I have installed a new motherboard, cpu, ram and sata dvd drive. I did a search in the forums and didn't find the question. I'm sure its out there somewhere.

My question is. Since I am booting the motherboard for the first time with the dvd as my first boot device. Since the Sata DVD drive will be the first boot device and is new also. Will it boot up. Or do I have to install drivers for the new SATA DVD drive for it to read my motherboards installation CD to work at all.
Thanks in advance for your help.

I am waiting for my new power supply to get here. I ordered it after I installed all the new parts I bought then couldn't plug in my main power to the motherboard. The new motherboard has a 24 pin connection and my old power supply had a 20 pin connection: lololol
Here is what I bought from newegg and have installed ( the 600wat PS is on the way.)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-- ECS A780GM-A AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

-- AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000 Brisbane 2.6GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor

-- OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

-- ASUS 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA

-- OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

When you set it up, by default it will do the HD, just change it in the BIOS are you are good

Yes I know I need to change to set the 1st boot device to my dvd drive. But I am worried that it may not read from the new SATA DVD drive I have just installed. I haven't loaded any device drivers for it.
Will the SATA DVD drive read the Motherboard installation CD in it or not be able to?

I am actually typing this message from a different computer. Its a laptop.
I have already installed the new motherboard, new cpu, new ram, and new SATA DVD drive.
Non of these have been powered up yet.
So From being totally brand new and not ever being powered up and have the ability to download the drivers for anything.
Will the SATA DVD actually read the motherboard installation CD without ever being used before?
thanks in advance

Yep..

The BIOS of the board will set it all up.. and if it doesn't work.. you know your DVD drive is broken or the thing got unplugged!

Ok I see you are saying yes it will.
Thanks vernong1992 for your help. Tech Forums saves the day again. When I get my new power Supply in Monday. I will let you know if all went well.

Well I installed all new components and when I try to boot from the windows installation cd in my new SATA dvd/cd drive. It spins and the light comes on and says it is downloading. It downloads the files from the cd and then says Opening Windows. But it just hanges there. I think usually at this point it recognizes I have a windows installation and asks me if I want to install new or repair.

Help. I can't get the computer to run windows now

Since my cd drive is sata. and my hard drives are ide. I have them in CS. Could there be anything to that. I haven't had to change them before. The installation CD is Windows XP SP2 and I had SP3 with all current updates on my hard drive before I installed the new motherboard cpu and dvd/cd drive and power supply.

You are installing Vista right?

After the whole bar thing, it does take a little bit for the Window to pop-up during Setup (if that's what you are referring to )

No I am actually repairing Windows XP SP2. I have SP3 In the hard drive but it has reinstalled before.
but since I've installed the new motherboard, cpu, ram and power supply it hangs.
The first time it hung the screen went gray. I shutdown and tried again. the second time It went Blue. I waited each time about 30 min. the third time the screen is now black and I am still waiting for something to happen. I think I hear the hard drive clicking but not shure. hd light is not working. but I may have installed it backwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom