new motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
It better be cause I'm getting the KN8, it's younger brother for my Athlon64 3200+ after christmas....I've heard nothing but good things about the ABIT KN8 so I think your choice is a good one.

I heard they have heating and stability issues =/. I think there was a thread involving them in the 'high performance pc's' forum

Here is the thing: Go to any motherboard forums, whether it is DFI-Street, MSI, Abit, etc., etc., etc., and you will find a slew of posts about their boards having this issue or that issue. But the purpose of the forums is to fix problems, not praise the product, per se. I have been in serious research for over a month on new components for a new PC. Many, many people are swearing by the DFI Lanparty NF4 Ulta-D mobo and then I went to the DFI-Street forums and let me tell you there were a ton of people dealing with all kinds of issues with that board. Does this make it a bad board. Not in the least, because there are many people who swear by it. Some of the fault lies directly with the board, but many times people either didn't set it up correctly or their Power Supply was inadequate. Make sure you have a good power supply with the 12v rails supplying no less than 30A!

Go to the Abit forums and you'll see the same thing, but you'll also find many, many people who have no issues at all. I strongly suggest going to the Abit forums and ask about the heating/stability issues that Camden called your attention to. The people there as on other sites will be straight up with you. It will be worth your time. The Abit KN8 Ultra is a good board. Right now, for myself I am torn between the Abit AN8-Ultra, the DFI NF4 Ultra-D, and the MSI NEO-4 Plantinum.

Hope this helps you.

I stand corrected ;) .

But I was speaking more in general, i was under the impression from somethin I'd read that they general, all things installed fine, don't hold up quite as well as some other mobos they'd compared them to.

Fair point though. Everything has some good n some bad reviews :amazed:

Camden, I think what you raised was quite valid! I was speaking from my own experience because I have heard so many conflicting opinions that I'm taking a heavy seditive (no, not really, but there are times I think I should). I find the motherboard, with what PSU to get coming a close second, the most debated thing on the web when it comes to hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom