New Monitor / video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

victord66

Beta member
I currently have a Samsung Syncmaster 244T which is 24”, but I would like something a bit bigger. It's in a small bedroom. I use it only as a pc monitor (don't watch TV), but watch a lot of films so I would like a monitor / video card that will produce excellent video quality without “jittering”. Let's say it's my home entertainment centre. I can't seem to find a pc monitor in the 32” size though. I'm running Win7.

My budget is $1300+. It seems that from some of the comments I have received I may not be happy with the image on a TV screen. I have noticed this one:

32" LCD HDTV LN32B530 32" 1080p LCD HDTV - LCD TV - Televisions | SAMSUNG

I don't mind upgrading my video card / power supply either.
I have no interest at all in watching TV, but can I hook this up to my pc and use it as a monitor? Will it give me a good quality image? I have seen reviews, but all of them are reviewing it as a TV but I'll be using it just as a computer monitor. Are their good 32” pc monitors out there?
Thanks.

a 1080p lcd actually looks pretty good from a computer. I have a 40" powered by my old 7800gtx and it works great.

a 1080p lcd actually looks pretty good from a computer. I have a 40" powered by my old 7800gtx and it works great.

Thank you Hefemeister, but my Syncmaster 244T works great, so if I'm upgrading, I want something that looks stunning. This Dell monitor has been suggested:

Dell 30" Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor

I want a good monitor for browsing and excellent video playback, preferably 32”. I don't mind paying a bit more, but I don't want to be disappointed.

Well you will not be dissapointed with that dell. I also have the Samsung T240 and it is better than my 40" TV no doubt.

To drive that resolution I would be looking at the ATI 5870 Newegg.com - XFX HD-587A-ZNF9 Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card w/ATI Eyefinity - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards If you are gaming.

If not a 5770 should do you just fine. Newegg.com - XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

What power supply do you currently have to ensure it has enough power.

Yes, I would need to upgrade my power supply, but I have another question. With this Dell monitor and new video card support HDMI with a 2560x1600 resolution?

Yes, I would need to upgrade my power supply, but I have another question. With this Dell monitor and new video card support HDMI with a 2560x1600 resolution?

You probably will have to upgrade your PSU.

The 30'' has a 2560x1600 res, and even video cards from 2001 can handle that resolution (my old Radeon 9250 could), but it's more of a question can you run games at the settings you want at that resolution. (with the 5700 and 5800 series, it shouldn't be a problem)

You probably will have to upgrade your PSU.

The 30'' has a 2560x1600 res, and even video cards from 2001 can handle that resolution (my old Radeon 9250 could), but it's more of a question can you run games at the settings you want at that resolution. (with the 5700 and 5800 series, it shouldn't be a problem)

Thanks, but I think you missed my question. I have noticed on other forums that there may be a problem with HDMI at that resolution. DVI cables work fine but I would prefer HDMI since it would offer better video resolution, no? So the question is, would this Dell monitor and new card support HDMI at that resolution, if not can you suggest a card that would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom