new mobo, im lost. please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seria

PC Cutie ^_^
It looks like I need a new mobo for a computer.

(the starter thread is here:
http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=106660 )

here are the system specs:

AMD Athlon XP 1800+
MSI KT4V mobo with on board NIC
eGeForce FX5200 vid card
Kingston DDR 512mb
Western Digital 80gb (IDE)
LiteOn cdrom (IDE)
LiteOn DVD RW combo drive (IDE)
generic 350W PSU

but apparently the mobo is bad so I need a new one. the problem is... nobody sells Socket A mobos anymore...

So I was wondering if I could get some help choosing a new mobo that would allow the other system devices.

the reason I need help, is because I've only ever know socket A's and IDE's I know nothing about SATA's RAIDS or other socket types.

can you please help me?

Yes I helped my dad build his comp and he had that exact one. It says it on the bottom. In very little letters.

If you are looking for a socket A motherboard, try and find an Abit NF7 as it really is the best socket A motherboard in its class for its time period. They don't make them anymore, but you can probably find them dirt cheap used from old owners

However I will suggest that for maybe $100-200 more you can get an entry level Athlon64 processor with an Asrock board plus around 1GB of memory, and after that you can simply reuse the other older parts of that machine you currently have. This upgrade will cause your machine to run significantly faster than what you currently have and IMO there really is no point spending more money on old parts

Every single board made in the past 10 years will absolutely support some form of IDE/ATA, I gurantee you that, it may not be specified simply because it's probably implied that it is there, but you really have nothing to worry about

I hope this helps

evga makes pretty good video cards but their motherboards are crap and I'd stay away from them

I think your current video card is PCI correct? It might be AGP but I'm not positive. Either way, this board has recieved much praise from what I can recall:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157081

You can see it covers both PCI-E and AGP Interfaces so you have bit more flexibility than most boards, plus is should be pretty reliable and stable and have enough features for its pricetag. The processor depends entirely on how much you wanna spend. A 3000+ is IMO fine for most everyone and is the only processor you should consider unless you are interested in multicore processors, at which point I would recommend the 3800+ or the Opteron 165, however those start to get a bit pricey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom